Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Whisker Biscuit with fingers ??? >

Whisker Biscuit with fingers ???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whisker Biscuit with fingers ???

Old 03-25-2006, 08:32 PM

Default RE: Whisker Biscuit with fingers ???

Hornswagger Art,

When all else fails you can always read the instructions.

Since a loose whisker biscuit is reccomended and the biscuit does come in an extra-large model for the fat shafts like the 26XX aluminium I think you can shoot any shaft you want with it.

For the record, the difference between shooting a with a mechanical release and shooting with fingers is going to be significant with any rest.

Do you miss a lot? Maybe we can help?

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Old 03-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since a loose whisker biscuit is reccomended and the biscuit does come in an extra-large model for the fat shafts like the 26XX aluminium I think you can shoot any shaft you want with it.
I guess you missed the partwhere I said I like rests that let me shoot any arrow I want without having to buy extra parts. LOL

With a flipper, or even a cheapie $10 springie rest (really an excellent rest, too!), I can shoot a skinny Axis or a 26XX aluminum with just a couple of adjustments. You, with your beloved wb, you have to go buy several different sizes of overpriced battery terminal cleaners to shoot various size shafts.[8D]

Do you miss a lot? Maybe we can help?
Just so you'll know... My arrow**** where I aim!If I miss, it's because I aimed at the wrong spot.[&:]I knowthe rests I useare mechanically up to the task and they are SO easy to tune. So, thanks, but no. I don't need your help. Uh... Unless you want to come over once a week and dust all my tournament trophies. THAT you could help me with.

Interesting, the kind of response you posted rather than discussing any of my comments about fingers release and broadheads with the wb.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:08 PM

Choosing to use a rest of the correct size is easier to do, but any size whisker biscuit can be expanded to provide a loose fit for any size arrow.
You don't need to buy anything extra in order to make the rest work.

A looser fit of the arrow to the biscuit is easier to tune than a tighter one.

A properly tuned bow, shooting the correct spine arrow through a whisker biscuit arrowrest is very quiet and deadly.

I have not had any special problems shooting broadheads through the biscuit with finger release.

I believe most people will shoot better with the mechanical release then they will with finger release. That is kinda obvious.

The whisker biscuit has been working with both fingers and release aids for about ten years now. It works in Alaska and it works in Afrika too.

Three out of the seven bowhunters who have successfully completed the Superslam of all 28 North-American Big Game animals with a bow used it for part of their quest and are still using it today. And none of them get paid to use the biscuit either. They do it because it works.

I think I'd rather with the guys that know what they are doing with the whisker biscuit, than with someone who thinks the biscuit is only good for cleaning battery terminals.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm.... 4 out of the 7 who completed the Slam didn't find it necessary to use a biskit at all.And I believe at least one of those didn't find it necessary to even use a release? Ah, the double edged sword of statistics.

I guess it's okay for a release shooter, since lots of guys are usingit, and more power to 'em, but I can neverthink ofthe wbas evenan acceptablefingers rest. Anybody who went to the link I posted earlier and actually watched the videos can easily see why.

For a fingers shooter, paradox is a fact of life. Since the push from the string is not in a straight line with the arrow, it MUST go through paradox in order for the arrow to go where it's aimed. Any interference with paradox means drag. Drag from thearrow restmeans wasted energy that would be better used for speed and penetration potential. Paradox bleeds off enough energy and speed by itself. Why would you use a rest that robs you of even more? Doesn't make any sense at all!

There is no way the wb with that itty bitty hole will let an arrow go through paradox cleanly, without interference. For that matter, forget the hole... I'd be amazed if the arrow isn't bouncing off the sides of the biskit frame! Slo mo video of such an event would be interesting.

Someone who wants to keep the arrow from falling off his rest, finger shooter or not,there are quite a few ways to do that without going to a full containment rest. A $5 arrow clip does just fine. Even a rubber band can be used with some rest designs.Usually, all it takes is a little care and attention to how the hunter moves and gets the bow into position for the shot.

Ever watched a catclose in for the kill? That's how a hunter should move.

As for me, the wb is thesolution to a problem I've never had. But I've only been shooting bows -not quite exclusively with a fingers release, but darn near-for a few weeks shy of 51 years now... Maybe I haven't had enough experience yet. [8D]
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 AM

Most of todays bows, including compounds, recurves and longbows, are designed with centershot risers.

The tradition of floating arrows was an atempt to find the heavy side of the arrow, so that you could fletch that side of the arrow and shoot that side of the arrow to the outside of the bow. When the bow was shot the arrow would bend around the handle and shoot in front of the bow. That is what I call archer's paradox.

The trend today is speed. I see lighter, faster, stiffer shafts being used with heavier heads for competition.

I still believe in a heavy arrow for hunting though. I guess I am shooting close to 50years now. And I have seen alot of changes too.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most of todays bows, including compounds, recurves and longbows, are designed with centershot risers.
Compounds, well beyondcentershot, actually. Recurves, maybe. Longbows, rarely - simply due to the fact that tournament rules usually mandate a longbow can't be cut any closer than 1/8" from centershot.

But that's totally immaterial and not at all relevant to the issue, because where the riser is cut doesn't matter. It's how centershot is adjustedon the rest that iskey.

Centershot is set dead center for a release, so an ultra-stiff arrow can be used to try and eliminate launch flex.For a fingers release though, you still mustset centershot outboard of center. Which means the arrow still flexes around the pressure point on the shot, and that is still paradox. A fingers shooter doesn't have the luxury of going extra stiff on arrow spine because the arrow won't shoot 'in front of the bow' if the spine isn't just right. Not to weak, not too stiff. Just right.

Things have certainly changed, but technology hasn'tcome up with a way to eliminateparadox for a fingers release. I don't think it ever will. At least, I hope it doesn't. Some things don't need fixin'.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Correct centershot for a bow should be determined by shooting the correct spine arrow for the bow and doing a walkback tune.

Using the centerline of the bow for a starting point is OK. But to assume that it is the optimum setting for every bow is just plain wrong.

The correct spine arrows for the bow will hit the same vertical line at all distances. It doesn't matter whether its a bodoodle or a biscuit, or what the spine charts say. What the arrow does is what is important to me.

The methods and results that I have gotten over the years are both testable and verifiable.