HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Fine tuning ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/136139-fine-tuning.html)

NY Harvester 03-12-2006 08:32 AM

Fine tuning ?

part -1
Been shooting with various BH's at 20yds. very consistant hits, results seem to be inch or 2 to the right.
Shooting FP's very good out to 30yd. at 20 yds. seem to be 1 or 2" to the left.
I adj. sight 1/16" to right , no noticable diff. with FP's better result with BH's, but not quite enough.
My question is this: should I move the sight again, ever so slight & check the results OR perhaps move the rest tiny bit OR just work on form and adj. for BH's during season?

part-2

Continuing on my journey for excellence; Finally got a chance to do the paper tuning.I am now only using the x-weaves I am getting a right and high tear , that is like the letter "Y" the upper right portion of the letter is torn abruptly to the R. I moved the rest a click at a time( per Easton's guide) all the way with no change in paper tear. at this point I moved it back to where it was and moved on to bareshaft-ing.
Shot 3 fletched arrows at 20 yds., then shot 2 bareshafts . the bareshafts impact 8" high and right of the fletched arrows. I did this several times to be sure. Ok, Easton's guide says move the nock point up, I did this about 3/16" and shot again. The fletched arrows dropped about a foot and the bare shafts were still 8- 10 " high of those. I moved the nocking point up another bit 1/4 " this time.
Fletched arrows Waay low approx. 1 1/2 ' bare shafts still high. This last step cost me an arrow , and now I'm back to original nock point.

So there you have it. I am going back to square 1 and will shoot the same arrows with fp's till satisfied with L-R impact. Then move back to the BH's and try again , If i cannot get the same point of impact by moving sight pin/ or arrow rest. I will have to adjust the sight for this coming turkey season, then back to fp's for 3D, then back to Bh's for deer....seems it may get to be a bit of PIA.
Could this be a specific (cam/ axle/ bow) issue?

BF1947 03-12-2006 12:09 PM

RE: Fine tuning ?

I don't think it's a BOW issue. I would suspect more that it's an arrow spine issue. You don't say what spined arrow you are trying to tune, but I'll bet your arrows are underspined. Now, instead of going out and buying new arrows you just might try turning the weight down on the bow about 5# and see if you can get them to tune better.

And for tuning you should get the arrows flying good in the vertical plane before messing with the horizontal.This means to adjust the nocking point first. And as for horizontal adjustments? Read the bottom of page 8 in the tuning guide---"release shooters may get the opposite indication from the norm".

NY Harvester 03-12-2006 01:23 PM

Thanks for the reply.
The arrows are 200's. I have a 1/2 doz. CF 300's gonna try bareshafting them now.

NY Harvester 03-12-2006 02:03 PM

Same bareshaftresult .A tiny bit closer perhaps, still about8" high.
I'llshootmore tommorow.;)

NY Harvester 03-15-2006 07:37 PM

Many Thanks BF!
Got the bare300's hitting with the fletched 300's. Took about 3/8" change in nocking point to accomplish.
Now thatI have some success I'm pumped to get this thing dead nuts on.
Gonna Paper tune again & keep shooting.

ewolf 03-15-2006 08:08 PM

If the bare shafts are hitting at 30 yards, shooting through paper is a waste of paper and time. They tell you the same thing.

BF1947 03-15-2006 08:36 PM

I agree with ewolf. If you can bareshaft then you don't need paper. I'd suggest following the Easton Tuning Guide to fine tune the bow. Another way to fine tune is walk-back tuning. Try it out to 40 yards. If things are good then go have fun. Then about July get your broadheads out and shoot long range.

Don't forget to take all the necessary measurements and save them somewhere where you won't forget to look. ATA, brace height, poundage, nocking point height above square, peep & kisser height above nocking point. Where the bottom cam passes between the limb use a pencil and mark the side of the cam (reference mark for drawlength) so you can get it right if the string creeps or you change rigging in a year or two.

Just for your info, I have for years left broadheads in the drawer until about 2 weeks before season. Just from tuning and supertuning different bows over the years I know from shooting the bow that the broadheads will fly OK. Sometimes there's a little tweaking but not often.

NY Harvester 03-15-2006 08:38 PM

E wolf,
your saying , all I need to do nowis adjust sight pin for elevation, then makehorizontal adjments?

Navajo 03-16-2006 09:21 AM

If you're trying to group tune, shoot your field tips and then your BH's, if your field tips are hitting dead on, but your BH's are hitting to the right, move your rest a slight amount to the left and vice versa. If your BH's are hitting high, lower your arrow rest a slight bit. You only want to move your rest in micro increments though. 1/32" is usually enough to correct the difference!!