Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How to strip off fletching? >

How to strip off fletching?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to strip off fletching?

Old 03-10-2006, 06:49 AM

Default How to strip off fletching?

I've got a set of Easton ST Axis arrows that I'm stripping of the vane that came on them. I started using a razor blade and I'm having a bit of a problem with this. I either can't get all of the van off or I gouge into the camo finish to get the last bit off.

What do you guys/gals use to strip off the vanes? Any tricks to make this easier without beating up the carbon arrow?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to strip off fletching?

There is a tool called a fletch stripper. If you have a sportings good store close you can probably find one. It fits under and does it with out gouging, then after you get it up you have to do like paint scrapping to get the glue and residue off, then I use scouring powder and hot as you can stand it water to get all residue and stuff off. Then use 90% alcohol to clean the area before you fletch it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=4XONRUYTG5L1HTQSNOKCCOWOCJVZOI WE?id=0026139416291a&navCount=0&cmCat=srch dx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx&CM_REF= http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fhl%3Den%26q %3Dfletching%2Bstripper&_requestid=18965

this is just one, there are many out there. Mine has the same end but sets at an angle with a leg in the rear to run along the shaft.

Jeff [8D]

Here is a second link that is like mine: http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/category.php?category=168
Old 03-10-2006, 08:04 AM

Try the Quik Strip tool, this works very well!!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:16 PM

Strip off as much as you can without damaging the shaft. A potatoe peeler works pretty well. Then soak the back end of the shaft in acetone for a few minutes and the rest of the fletching should wipe off.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:10 PM

Don't soak,wipe,or rub acetone on any carbon arrows, acetone has a chemical in it that destroys carbon fibers causing them to seperate. denatured alcohol is the fasteset easiest way to clean arrow shafts. If your in a hurry to get those vanes off a dull pocketknife will scrape them off without digging into the finish. I've refleched dozen's of carbons and have found this to be the quickest way. hope this helps
Old 03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

If you want to save some $, those curved blade linoleum knives work great. Buy at Home Depot or a tile shop.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:36 PM

just use a dull ( but still sharp) fixed blade knife, thats what we use at the shop
Old 03-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with fufanu360. It may sound silly........we were all taught to not use a dull knife.[8D] But I've had my best success stripping vanes using a dull utility knife blade. At least you won't gouge the shaft.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fufanu360

just use a dull ( but still sharp) fixed blade knife, thats what we use at the shop
that's what I use at the shop I work at as well.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Bohning sells the "Stripper" for $10.46 and it works really well. The shape of the cut-out where the blade is regulates the angle.