HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   grip and arrow flight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/135560-grip-arrow-flight.html)

hoyt3 03-07-2006 06:07 AM

grip and arrow flight

can your grip have an adverse effect on arrow flight? I am working on my set up on my new vtec, and had a good chance to shoot it yesterday. I threw about a 100 arrows and tried every adjustment to my rest imaginable. (I'm getting a slight half loop in flight) finally I started messing with my grip that an nfaa coach suggested. my arrows started to straighten out. I was using the two finger grip on this bow. I had issues like this on my other hoyt and finally got to working on the grip. it was tearing bullet holes and couldn't for the life of me figure out wth was going on. experience and advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Bees 03-07-2006 07:00 AM

RE: grip and arrow flight

gripping the bow is the wrong term. You shouldn't really grip the bow at all, but rather let it sit on you thumb pad while your pulling it back. My fingers don't touch the bow at all.

Barth 03-07-2006 07:14 AM

i would have to agree with bees

hoyt3 03-07-2006 07:24 AM

sooooo, the question is...can holding the bow incorrectly effect arrow flight?

Bees 03-07-2006 07:38 AM

can holding the bow incorrectly effect arrow flight?
yes both flight and in turn arrow impact point.

ijimmy 03-07-2006 08:21 AM

Grip toqure is the bane of many archers , myself included .

BF1947 03-07-2006 10:29 AM

I'm not good at pasting and such but here is a link:

www.bowsite.com/features/practical_bowhunter/getagrip

This is about as good as it gets without a long drawn out response. Pictures and all.

As has been said, if you "grip" and bow then you ain't doing it right.

turtleshell 03-07-2006 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: BF1947

I'm not good at pasting and such but here is a link:

www.bowsite.com/features/practical_bowhunter/getagrip

This is about as good as it gets without a long drawn out response. Pictures and all.

As has been said, if you "grip" and bow then you ain't doing it right.
I couldn't get that link to work.[:@]

Paul L Mohr 03-07-2006 02:53 PM

Two things that effect tuning nightmares is inconsistant grip and follow thru. You can technically hold the bow any way you want as long as you do it the same way EVERY time. So the less contact you have the more repeatable it is. A lot of people that have trouble paper tuning a bow usually have form problems, not tuning problems. Which is also why someone else can't tune your bow for you.

Paul