HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Form video (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/134722-form-video.html)

ijimmy 02-28-2006 06:31 AM

Form video

Hey guys an galls , I found a video hosting site , called putfile . Heres a video I grabed from archerytalk years ago of Dave Cousins .

gibblet 02-28-2006 07:10 AM

RE: Form video

he's fingering that trigger too. that's not back tension.

ijimmy 02-28-2006 07:44 AM

Yah a pinky release

Matt / PA 02-28-2006 07:58 AM

Trust me, that's back tension shooting with a thumb trigger style release..........and as good as it gets form wise. (Not to mention perfect bow balance as well geez) You're hand compresses the instant the release trips.....it's just relfex.
Look at how still everything is at the explosion of that shot. No head movement, no grabbing the bow, just straight forward , straight back motion of the opposing forces of bow arm and release arm position.
That's BEEAUTIFUL.:)
I mean he doesn't even blink. You think he's done that a time or 2.[:-]

Dave is shooting a Carter 3 finger "Just Cuz" or "Target 3" I think the hand movement you are seeing is him settling in on the release getting his pinky in position, from there it's just pulling through.

That's the precise form that I try to emulate in my shooting......still working on that.;)

gibblet 02-28-2006 08:11 AM

no offense, but his hand is operating that release by squeezing. his neck is crooked, and it is physically impossible for your scapula to engage your rhomboid in that position. his elbow moves vertically, not horizontally, which is the direction the rhomboid would pull it. its easy to see his hand begin the process, and end it. with back tension there is no explosion, and no follow thru.its a very slight movement, and whatever happens after it just happens.

Matt / PA 02-28-2006 08:26 AM

no offense, but his hand is operating that release by squeezing. his neck is crooked, and it is physically impossible for your scapula to engage your rhomboid in that position. his elbow moves vertically, not horizontally, which is the direction the rhomboid would pull it. its easy to see his hand begin the process, and end it. with back tension there is no explosion, and no follow thru.its a very slight movement, and whatever happens after it just happens.
Gib,
No offense taken........but huh?;)

BF1947 02-28-2006 08:38 AM

No offense meant here, but maybe his way is wrong for some of us, but it sure works well for him. How many of us can only dream of shooting as well as he does. Consistency from shot to shot is on his side.

Neat video though.

gibblet 02-28-2006 09:11 AM

hey, i know both he and matt are far better shots than i am. i've been working at this bt thing for 10 months and still don't know if i'm going to get 'it'. all i'm saying is that is what passes for bt, but isn't it (at least according to the fellow that i went to school with to learn it;). one of first things he taught us was how to recognize what is not it.)

there is no explosion because there is no added tension on thebow besides holding wt.

there is no follow thru because it is impossible to follow thru when you have no idea when the release will occur. what happens after that instant is of no concern to the shooter whatsoever, and there is no way in the world the shooter would ever know what happened unless someone showed them a video. follow thru with bt is a myth. its impossible to drop your bow arm in anticipation. its impossible to do anything with your bow hand because it was completely relaxed to start with. your release hand will maybe move 2" after the shot, that's it, everything else is fake if you're shooting bt.

i didn't figure any of this stuff out, i'm spitting out what i learned from larry. if you've seen him shoot, he shoots with back tension.

MilDotMaster 02-28-2006 09:14 AM

Thanks for sharing the video. One thing I see is how he has the string on the left side of his nose at full draw.Do you guys know if he is left eye dominate?

BobCo19-65 02-28-2006 09:57 AM

I think you and your instructor make some real good points Gibblet.

and there is no way in the world the shooter would ever know what happened unless someone showed them a video.
I agree. And the follow through in the example, I believe is when the arm is coming straight back as an opposing force to the arrow path. When the forearm/hand starts to move upward, it is not part of the follow through. Also notice that the arrow is well off the bow when the arm starts moving up. I think that there is a lot of relaxing happening in his draw arm/shoulder.

its impossible to drop your bow arm in anticipation. its impossible to do anything with your bow hand because it was completely relaxed to start with.
The bow arm in this example, I believe is perfect. What happens sometimes though sometimes in anticipation, is that the arm starts to drop before the arrow cleared the bow.

Very different for the longbow bow arm however, especially since there is no stabilizing device or much riser material. Your bow arm basically becomes your stabiizer.