Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rotating nock for tuning? >

Rotating nock for tuning?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rotating nock for tuning?

Old 02-23-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Rotating nock for tuning?

Is there any reason why you have to have a cock vane color different from the other vanes if using a drop away rest? If you left them all the same color, is it true you can rotate the nock in 3 different positions to tune your arrows for best grouping? I now have a couple arrows that are not grouping as well as the rest of the group, so I was looking for more ways to tune them. In the past I have always just rotated nock 180 degrees if needed, but I have never tried adjusting nock to each vane position. Have you had any luck with doing this?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:30 AM

Default RE: Rotating nock for tuning?

no reason at all i shoot with three feathers the same colour and i think it looks better, but that is just me, as for turning the nocks, i have never tried it,my suggestion is just to try it and see wouldnt hurt any thing.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

but I have never tried adjusting nock to each vane position.
I can't speak authoritatively on it since I've never personally done it, but I would think this would kind of lead to the same thing as the old wive's tale of aligning your broadhead blades to your vanes for better arrow flight... In other words, I just don't see it making a difference. But hey, what the heck? Give it a shot and let us know how it works out!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:11 AM

I'am no expert by far but I recently read an article on this subject. They actually used a machine that held the bow in place (like a gun vise) and fired the bow. This thing kept the bow in perfect position for every shot to eliminate any human era. They shot 3 arrows for 3 rounds.On all 3rounds each arrow hit the same hole eveytime.
One arrow was dead on the intended spot, the other 2 were slightly off by an 1.5" to 2 " up or down I think. Then theyturned the nocks just slightly on the 2 arrows which were off. The 2 arrows ended up grouping almost in the same hole as the first. I know it may not be possible to do this in the real world without this type of machine but it seems after reading this article that turning the nocks can improve grouping.
I'll check to see if I can find the article today.

Bug
Old 02-24-2006, 05:39 AM

it works sometimes, really well. when picking my hunting arrows i always do this before tossing one aside, more often than not it actually works. i believe it has to do with finding the stiff side of the arrow.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's a lot quicker and easier to use a spine tester and orient your nocksto the stiffest axis of each shaft before fletching. That's all you're doing by turning the nocks anyway. It just takes more time using the trial and error method.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try rotating your nocks as a first step , if that does not help , replace the nock , if that fails , file 13 , considering everything else is as consistant as you can posably get it . I used to wear the snot out of nocks , shooting off of the string without a cusion [hince the tag line], 100-200 shots and they were done for , started useing a cusion and nock life is greatly improved , a loop is even better . Nock fit is another part of the equasion , to tight and your in for fits , thats what magnocks are all about , consistant nock release , and lots of target guys swear by them .
Old 02-24-2006, 09:25 AM

The info I got states that rotating the nock moves the stiff side of arrow to best position, as some of you have listed above. The guy I heard it from said he puts the stiff side to the right, so when using a release aid the arrow wants to flex in a vertical position. Having the stiff side to the right counteracts this and makes the dynamic spine stiffer correct? Maybe we are just controlling/rotating the static spine of the arrow. I’m confused on this part as to what the difference is between static spine and dynamic spine. Some say static spine isn’t worth your time, but dynamic spine is. Since we are on this topic…what the heck is dynamic spine and how can one use this info to increase accuracy? I’m asking because I’m getting ready to start building my own arrows, supplies are on order. Going to order all same color fletching so I can rotate nock as required. Thanks for the help thus far.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Think this is corect ?
Staic spine = [the flex]what you get from a spine gauge.
Dynamic spine =[the flex] what happens to your arrow when shot .
Old 02-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

is it true you can rotate the nock in 3 different positions to tune your arrows for best grouping?
Actually there's 6 positions for the nock compared with standard fletching. The nock can be flipped 180* on each fletch, and yes it can make a difference....

Quick Reply: Rotating nock for tuning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.