HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Indoor sights and stab help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/133807-indoor-sights-stab-help.html)

Dairy King 02-20-2006 09:50 PM

Indoor sights and stab help

Im gonna try and convert my MBI Black Eagle over to indoor spots over this summer. I was looking through my Lancaster catalog today, and seen all the different stuff. Like all the different lengths of stabalizers and different lengths of sights. What do you think I should start off with? Any help is appreciated.

akaSharkey 02-21-2006 06:13 AM

RE: Indoor sights and stab help

Just started setting up a spot bow myself. I have a Sureloc with the6 inch extension and a 4x scope. That seems to work fairly well.
Stabs I have no idea about. Every bow is different. If you can go to your shop and try some different ones out to see what feels good. The longer the stab, the harder it is to torque your bow. If you have a friend that shoots try out theirs. Stabs are not cheap, and I don't have the money to try a bunch of different ones out. For my bow I am leaning toward a 26 inch Doinker. Brian

bowtech die hard 02-22-2006 10:42 PM

easton makes some good stabilizers with doinkers you can put on the end. I'd give 'em a shot....i've seen good results shooting indoor leagues from other guys shooting them.

Black Frog 02-24-2006 07:58 AM

Stabilizers for target are a VERY personal thing. Some people like a forward weighted bow setup, others like a neutral setup. How the bow balances will change depending on the geometry of the bow, so your bow with XYZ stabilizer may balance much differently than someone else's bow with that same stabilizer.

Unfortunately, trial and error is the only real way to find out what works best for YOU, your bow, your form, and your personal preference. And rarely do you find somewhere that carries several different stabs to try before you buy.

For that reason, I prefer stabs with some adjustability to them. That allows me to tinker and find the right balance that I prefer. Beiter multi-rod stabs haveadjustable placement of weights ("tuners") that you can move around to distribute the weight differently on the stab. You can also add weight to the endcap itself if you buy the stab with that endcap. I think Doinker now makes a simlar version.

I prefer the adjustability factor of this sort of stab vs. the fixed weight/length of other types. Other people will probably disagree so it's just my opinion....

Black Frog 02-24-2006 09:10 AM

Another thought.

As far as sights- I try not to buy anything too "out of the ordinary". I like to try lots of different things so I end up buy/selling quite a bit. If you have something that is out of the mainstream you'll most likely have a tougher time selling it. So I don't get the sight bars that are really short or really long. If you get the mid-length (most popular) you can always pull it in if you want it shorter. Any of the bigger name sights make good stuff. Sure-Loc, Copper John, CBE, Tox, etc....

djkiller 02-26-2006 07:37 AM

Stabilizers for spots are going to very based on shooter. What you are looking for is one that will let your bow sit in your hand. The longer the stabilizer. The more stable it will become. But, you dont need a 3' stabilizer to do the trick. You'll have to try some out at different length's. Also one w/ some kinda dampner on the end will help channel noise and vibration. There are many brands out there. Your best off trying some out at a pro-shop on your bow.
As for scopes and sightsgoes you will want one w/ at least 6" extension. Makes for better lengthadjustment for using a scope. Sure-Loc, Copper Johns, CBE, Shrewed, Toxonics are goods sights. Bullseye, shrewed, sure-loc, Viper..... are all good. 4x-6x lens are the practical magnification for spots. Remember the smaller the peep the clearer the lens will be. Good luck !!!!!

The Rev 02-26-2006 07:48 AM

Everyone here has given you very good advice. Most of your set up is going to come by trial and error. What works for one will not work for another. I have gone through many different sights, and stabilizers.. I also shoot inside and outside. This is my set up now and I am pretty happy with it now.. (tomorrow I may change my mind) Notice is use two Toxonic Stabilizers, one 18 inches and one 12 in w/ rear flex bars.

gibblet 02-26-2006 07:52 AM

i got a specialty archery elite stick with a tuning rod. its 24" and it has a rod that goes out another 2' if you want it to. i believe you can also add weights to it, but i'd imagine only on the end.

djkiller 02-26-2006 03:25 PM

heres mine w/ a 28" cartel and a kyber 6" offset