Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tuning

Old 02-11-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Paper tuning

I am paper tuning my Hoyt Vtec and I am getting a slight tail right tear. Does that mean my arrows are spined too weak? Here's my setup: 68lbs., 29in draw, and 28in GT pro hunters 55/75 with Blazers and 125 gr field tip.

Or do I move the rest to the left to straighten it out? I am right handed by the way. Thanks for the help....Jim
Old 02-11-2006, 01:17 PM

Default RE: Paper tuning

move it to the right to see if you can tune it out first!
Old 02-11-2006, 02:02 PM

i really don't think you'll be able to tune that out, not even dropping point weight down to 100 gr.(but maybe) however, if you do a little walk back tuning you should be able to get them to shoot fine.

d, i'd think left, but i get it backwards sometimes.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:32 PM

No, to the right. The point is flying to the left of the tail, so the rest needs to be moved back to the right to put the tip in line with the tail. If you are talking about a small tear, you should be able to tune it out. If you can't, then yes, you may not be spined correctly.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've found that ifthings are too far off or if you have any clearance issues, paper can mislead you. Good starting point, but not gospel.

Do the walkback or bareshaft. If a bareshaft flies true, you're in like Flynn.
Once you've got that, tweaking for fletched broadheads will be cake. Don't shoot bareshaft broadheads though.

Good luck.
-Bulz
Old 02-12-2006, 11:41 AM
bigcountry

Yea, i have fought this battle before. Got to get rid of the clearance issues. I use foot powder and got rid of clearance issues, then went back to the paper, and things made more sense. I then go to bareshaft, which I have yet to help me.

I had something wierd happen on a new bowtech liberty. I paper tuned, bareshaft, and all was good. But still groups were bad. Vertical grouping. I then put some broadheads on, picked the straightest arrows and made sure the broadheads were perfect. I then broadhead tuned and followed the directions for that by adjusting the nocking point, and now it shoots dynomite. Some said I detuned it, but it works, my broadheads fly good, my field tips fly good. I really didn't see much difference to the paper or bare. So I am starting to believe broadhead tuning is a better fine tune.

Yesterday I was hitting 2-3" groups at 30 yardsand 3-4"at 40yards everytime. Thats good for me with broadheads.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:49 AM

Well I tried moving the rest to the right, left, up, down, inside out, ect. I was about to use my bow as a boomerang and then I thought about the one thing I didn't try..... I backed my limb bolts out a half turn each and reset the rest to where I originally had it and you guessed it a perfect bullet hole. A big thanks to everyone who responded to this post... Jim
Old 02-13-2006, 08:51 AM

Well, you discovered you did indeed have spine issues. Glad you got it worked out, I know there is nothing more frustrating than trying everything and nothing works.