Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 fixed or mechanical broadheads??? >

fixed or mechanical broadheads???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fixed or mechanical broadheads???

Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default fixed or mechanical broadheads???

Is there a minimum draw weight that will make mechanical's work? Or, what rule of thumb is there to use them. Thx.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:59 AM

Default RE: fixed or mechanical broadheads???

Unless I am mistaken, 50 pounds of KE are recommeded for mechanical heads.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:17 AM

50 ft pounds of KE is the number I received from Tech Services. However, I was told that is the number required at the impact range, not from your bow. Meaning you can have enough KE comming from your bow with properly tuned arrows, but at 30 or 40 yards, you will be below minimums. Something to remember.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Fork Horn

rocket wolverines i know can be shot with low poundage bows alot of women used to shoot them. smaller heads and good design dont need much.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

With the huge number of fixed blade heads made today that fly every bit as good as a mechanical there is absolutely no reason for a person to shoot a mechanical broadhead.

Here is a short list of broadheads that provide as good or better flight than mechanical broadheads.

Slick Tricks
NAP nitrons
Rocky Mountain turbo, tradition, iron head 100
G5's montec, striker
Magnus stingers
Razor caps
American Broadhead Companies sonic and liberty heads.
All of the Steel Force line of broadheads
Wasp Boss , Boss bullet, and sharp shooter
Old 02-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigbulls

With the huge number of fixed blade heads made today that fly every bit as good as a mechanical there is absolutely no reason for a person to shoot a mechanical broadhead.
[quote]

?????????????
Nothing wrong with mechanicals! I am 35 for 35 of big game animals with NAP Spitfires. It all comes down to shot placement. I worked around a butcher shop for years.I saw all shapes and size broadheads lodged in deerl.I guarantee it doesnt come down to the broadhead it comes down to the shot placement. Plus I like mechanicals for safety reasons. You are less likely to cut yourself on head that closes. JMHO
Old 02-11-2006, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Here is a short list of broadheads that provide as good or better flight than mechanical broadheads.

Slick Tricks
NAP nitrons
Rocky Mountain turbo, tradition, iron head 100
G5's montec, striker
Magnus stingers
Razor caps
American Broadhead Companies sonic and liberty heads.
All of the Steel Force line of broadheads
Wasp Boss , Boss bullet, and sharp shooter
Your a good man

Old 02-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bullmoose, I never said anything was actually wrong with mechanical heads. Simply stating that fixed blade heads are better for the purposes of big game and there are a whole bunch that fly at least as good as a mechanical head.

Another thing that caught my eye is the statement about you working around a butcher shop and seeing all kinds of broadheads lodged in deer. That's exactly my point. I don't want my broadhead lodged in a deer or any other animal. I want it to pass all the way through and into the dirt. A sharp fixed blade head gives a much better chance of this happening than a mechanical, especially on hits that impact the shoulder blade.

It amazes me, and I use to be one of them, how many people want their hunting bow accessories to be as simple and reliable as possible yet want their broadhead to be as complicated as possible and have a bunch of moving parts that are more prone to failure.

I mean the Whisker Bisquit is such a popular rest becasue of its simplicity and reliability, people refuse to use a drop away cause they have too many moving parts, people all the time choose a fixed single pin sight for the simplicity and rugedness. And yet these same exact people will screw in a mechancal broadhead. The single thing that actually does the killing is the most complicated accessory they have. [&:]
Old 02-11-2006, 10:38 PM

fixed blades.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Bullmoose, I never said anything was actually wrong with mechanical heads. Simply stating that fixed blade heads are better for the purposes of big game and there are a whole bunch that fly at least as good as a mechanical head.

Another thing that caught my eye is the statement about you working around a butcher shop and seeing all kinds of broadheads lodged in deer. That's exactly my point. I don't want my broadhead lodged in a deer or any other animal. I want it to pass all the way through and into the dirt. A sharp fixed blade head gives a much better chance of this happening than a mechanical, especially on hits that impact the shoulder blade.

It amazes me, and I use to be one of them, how many people want their hunting bow accessories to be as simple and reliable as possible yet want their broadhead to be as complicated as possible and have a bunch of moving parts that are more prone to failure.

I mean the Whisker Bisquit is such a popular rest becasue of its simplicity and reliability, people refuse to use a drop away cause they have too many moving parts, people all the time choose a fixed single pin sight for the simplicity and rugedness. And yet these same exact people will screw in a mechancal broadhead. The single thing that actually does the killing is the most complicated accessory they have. [&:]
Sorry misunderstood you. My point with working in a butcher shop was that it was any type of head. The ones we found were lodged in the bones. What I was saying is that no matter what head you use you still need to make a vital shot. Thanks for clearing up.

Quick Reply: fixed or mechanical broadheads???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.