Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 SPINE LOSS CAUSES >

SPINE LOSS CAUSES

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

SPINE LOSS CAUSES

Old 02-08-2006, 07:25 AM

Default SPINE LOSS CAUSES

This is somewhat in response to another threadentitled "Shooting the spine out of an arrow?".

Like I've stated many times,you may get a dozen arrows with varying degrees of straightness and spine, even carbon arrows may degrade over time. Causes for degradation may be tuning, target density/consistency, hitting hard objects or hitting other arrows when 'grouping, and excessive heat or improper handling.

Tuning is one area where a lot of archers fail. I hear so often that group tuning and other forms of tuning is the only method. While I find this and some other forms of tuning to be effective, they don't tell you the whole story. I'm a strong believer in the attributes that paper tuning offers. While it's not the 'end all' where tuning is concerned, it does offer an asset that might extend the life of your arrows.

A 'bullet hole' from varying distances indicates thatan arrow is not 'flexing' from the initiation of thrust. This 'flexing' can be detrimental to the longevity of any arrow and especially an arrow that is not perfectly straight or spine consistent from the start.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SPINE LOSS CAUSES

Len,

I think that then begs the question, will a bowshooting perfect bullet holes at varying distances always produce accuracy from broadhead tipped arrows? Are you paper tuning with broadheads or with field points? Though I agree that paper tuning does have its merits, especially if you are limited for space do you not think that group tuning with both field points and broadheads elminates most of the "middle man" in terms of getting the best tune out of the bow?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are so many variables in this sport . Great info Len , Id bet alot of archers would be suprised at the diferance in paper tears in a "socalled matched" set of 12 arrows . One of the keys you have mentioned here is at various distances , alot of guys paper tune at 6 feet and call it good , big mistake .
Old 02-08-2006, 07:35 PM

Frank:

....will a bowshooting perfect bullet holes at varying distances always produce accuracy from broadhead tipped arrows?

Yes and no. Only if the BHs are quality and fitted to the arrow properly.

Are you paper tuning with broadheads or with field points?

I generally tune with field points. If done properly and the item above is administered, they will usually be little to no difference in POI.

Though I agree that paper tuning does have its merits, especially if you are limited for space

We agree here and it's noteworthy that I discuss this issue in my seminars.

...do you not think that group tuning with both field points and broadheads elminates most of the "middle man" in terms of getting the best tune out of the bow?

It can, but the same information/results are not achieved. Paper tuning gives me more information about how the arrow is leaving the bow and whether or not I'm loosing KE. I can also test the spine consistancyof an arrow in a rudimentary way with paper tuning.

Thanks for the questions.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Paper tuning gives me more information about how the arrow is leaving the bow and whether or not I'm loosing KE.
I agree totally with this point.

However, you also mentioned paper tuning various distances. I would interpret this to mean not just coming off the bow, but maybe I'm wrong. I was just wondering what the various distances actually are.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

However, you also mentioned paper tuning various distances. I would interpret this to mean not just coming off the bow, but maybe I'm wrong. I was just wondering what the various distances actually are.
Bob, that is only limited by one's own space restraints...you can start back by 1, 2, 5 yard increments or as many as 10 yards increments to get results of what the arrow is doing at several distances....
Old 02-09-2006, 01:20 PM

OK, so I paper tuned the other night at 6 feet, 5 yards, 10 yards and 15 yards. At 6 feet I had a slightly high tear. At 5 yards and beyond, perfect hole. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are a release shooter, don't you want a slight high tear up close?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

[/blockquote]

Bob, that is only limited by one's own space restraints...you can start back by 1, 2, 5 yard increments or as many as 10 yards increments to get results of what the arrow is doing at several distances....

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Rob
Thanks Rob, I understand what you are saying, but maybe I asked the question wrong. Past a certain distance, using the paper tuning method you are no longer looking at how the arrow comes off the bow IMO. The arrowwill eventuallystabilize from the fletching. I am agreeing with Len (I also fully believe in paper tuning a compound bow) that paper tuning is very effective in seeing how the arrow comes off the bow (before the fletchings stabilize the arrow). It's important that it comes off straight, so that unnecessary energy is not lost in stabilizing the arrow. I believe it is true to take readings at various distances, but I'd rarely go past about 10 feet. I'm just wondering what his various distances which were not actuallymentioned are and why.

Bob
Old 02-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

mobow , if your arrows are flying like that , and field points and broadheads are hitting together , I dont know what more you could ask for .
Old 02-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

mobow,

I tend to agree with ijimmy's statement but remember having a conversation with Len some time ago about the "slight high left tear". The general wisdom passed on about it was that since the arrow comes off of the bow in that particular manner it then forces the fletching to stabilize the arrow more quickly thus resulting in better accuracy. Though I do not necessarily doubt the wisdom of that statement I do question whether or not it was intended for target shooters with target points or bowhunters with broadhead tipped arrows.

Maybe Len could clarify further.

Quick Reply: SPINE LOSS CAUSES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.