Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 please tell me the difference >

please tell me the difference

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

please tell me the difference

Old 02-07-2006, 10:29 AM

Default please tell me the difference

If everything you attach to your string reduces your speed than how does that metal ball you put on the string increase speed? Not sure what it is called or even where I seen it.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:05 AM

Default RE: please tell me the difference

Well, I am not sure of the ball you speak of, but I believe the reason accessories slow your arrow down is because of the drag and added weight to the string. Also, some peep sites cause your string to "balloon" on release, causing more drag. A clean string will cut through the air cleaner.
If you run across the name or a picture, post it for us.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

A speed ball increases speed of your bow string because once the ball starts moving momentum is created and the ball aids in pulling the string to the resting position.

Howevr, you can't just place one of these speed balls anywhere on the string. There is a "sweet spot" close to the cam(s) where it will have a positive effect. No two bows are the same when it comes to this spot so you must experiment with its placement and a chronograph to achieve the best results.

Normal accessories such as peeps, nocks, and string silencers slow the bow down due to them being more to the center of the string and there fore are added weight that the string must pull foward just like an arrow.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

A speed ball increases speed of your bow string because once the ball starts moving momentum is created and the ball aids in pulling the string to the resting position.

Howevr, you can't just place one of these speed balls anywhere on the string. There is a "sweet spot" close to the cam(s) where it will have a positive effect. No two bows are the same when it comes to this spot so you must experiment with its placement and a chronograph to achieve the best results.

Normal accessories such as peeps, nocks, and string silencers slow the bow down due to them being more to the center of the string and there fore are added weight that the string must pull foward just like an arrow.
Bigbulls,

Does this explain why I picked up 4 fps with my bow by retarding both of my binary cams 2 twists each?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kind of. All cams have a point of optimum rotation and the limbs have a specific point where they will be at their peak in terms force being applied to the cams.

When the cams are oriented so that they rotate over at the same time the limbs are producing the most they can you get the best performance from your bow.

It's kind of hard to explain typing it here so I hope this makes sense.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:58 PM

ok thanks and you answered my next question , if the speed ball ads speed does the metal loop? No because of it's placement.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:10 PM

The closer to the center of your string you add weight the more it will slow things down. This is why string silencers really don't slow a bow down much, they are pretty close to the limbs in most cases. Most new bows come with what you call speed nocks. Which are a few nocks that are shrink wrapped near the cam or cams. Just measure this distance and put them in the same spot when you change your string. The company has probably already done the homework on the best place to put them.

And more weight isn't always better. You can have too much of a good thing. If you already have speed nocks I would not bother with the speed balls. Probably will not gain anything, may even slow you down a little.

And the metal D loops will REALLY slow your bow down because they are pretty heavy and right in the middle of your string. Same thing as adding that amount of weight to your arrow. I think its funny when I see someone shooting altra light carbons and then shooting a metal nocking loop. Sort of counter productive in my opinion.

The peeps with the tubing really rob your speed as well.

Paul
Old 02-08-2006, 05:40 PM

here is the pic of thebow string accelerstor I was talking about, gives you up to 12'/sec.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:14 PM

Same thing as a speed nock set. I believe on single cams, they only go near the bottom cam and on dual cam bows they go on top and bottom cams.