Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ibo vs actual speed >

ibo vs actual speed

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ibo vs actual speed

Old 01-30-2006, 02:54 PM

Default RE: ibo vs actual speed

Depends on your draw length and draw weight. I would count on it though unless you are shooting really light arrows.

Paul
Old 01-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ej, if you're shooting a 30" draw length, you will be... Remember, take off 10 fps for every inch of power stroke you give up. For example, my Allegiance is shooting 331 fps with a 30" draw. Since I'm actually shooting 29", I'm closer to 321. []Oh well, I guess I can live with that...
Old 01-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't forget to take into consideration your arrow weight ,and your draw weight .These bow's are based on 30" and a very light arrow [Can't remember weight ] but usually it's based on a lighter arrow than you most likely will be using for hunting.

nubo
Old 01-31-2006, 02:28 PM

I meant to say I would NOT count on it, typo, sorry.

Paul
Old 02-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mike,

Now why didn't you just ask me when you were down at the shop the other day? I tend to use the figures that Zak posted. They will get you close to the speed you attain out of the chrono. You going to be down on Thursday? I have to sight in and chrono the Old Glory.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

What BF said , the tube alone will account for around 10 fps and makes allot of noise . Quality string and a true peep for me .
Old 02-01-2006, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: ejpaul1

Ok, so I have a PSE typhoon rated at 298 (they say)and I am using a trophy taker drop away rest with a peep site. That is the only things on my string. With the right arrows, do you think I am maybe in the 275-280 range? Just wondering. EJ
You'd be darn lucky to get that. A more realistic velocity would be around 255-260, unless you get down around 4gr/lb and I wouldn't recommend it. Let's face it. The IBO rating on your Typhoon isn't all that great by today's standards.

I agree with Paul. You just set your bow up to get the best shooting you can do with it and live with what speed you get, realizing that for hunting speed is almost a non-issue for shots under 30 yards. More important to have smooth and quiet.

Now, you want a fast bow then you go out shopping and shooting fast bows. That means bows that IBO in the 320-335 range. Then you'll get speed. Of course it will be about double the price of your Typhoon.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:20 AM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Mike,

Now why didn't you just ask me when you were down at the shop the other day? I tend to use the figures that Zak posted. They will get you close to the speed you attain out of the chrono. You going to be down on Thursday? I have to sight in and chrono the Old Glory.

Why? Not sure. Too many other things running around my head I guess. I was estimating the speeds by my chrono speed of the ultra mag I owned against the rated ibo. It was about 46fps less which calculated seem right on.

I think Pauls advise was about the best I could ask for. Shoot what I like and don't worry about the speed.

I have put more thought into what new sight and bow to get then I did with my last 2 trucks. Something just does not seem right about that.