HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Follow Up Regarding Paka's Rotating Peep (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/129484-follow-up-regarding-pakas-rotating-peep.html)

fechmupbud 01-19-2006 03:04 AM

Follow Up Regarding Paka's Rotating Peep

Is a peep with the hose to keep it aligned not the way to go these days? I'm sure it makes the bow louder, but when I bought my Alleg, the guy said it wouldn't matter much. The reason I'm asking is that when I tried a Matthews Switchback, the peep kept getting jacked up - I didn't think that would be ideal under hunting situations;keeping it aligned is just something else to remember.

Did I just put a set of cheap hub caps on a corvette??? [:o]

BF1947 01-19-2006 10:22 AM

RE: Follow Up Regarding Paka's Rotating Peep

What do you mean that the string kept getting jacked up? Do you mean it kept sliding up the string? If so here's a suggestion. You need to serve above and below the peep to keep it from moving, especially on the upper side. Where the tube attaches to the cable should not be above the peep when at rest. These will help.

Your other question. Are tubes with peeps the way to go? It all depends on how anal you are about setups, and your experience level. These kind of peeps are generally for those with less experience or those who can't or don't want to deal with peep rotation.

One of the most common things about bows coming from the factory is that the strings very rarely have enough twists in them. A string that is twisted up enough will usually be more stable over time. Take a look at your own and see how many twists are in it. I would venture a guess and say if it's the normal single cam it's got about 15 twists in it. Well, you get a good aftermarket string such as Winner's Choice or Prostrings and you see that they have 1 complete twist for every 1 1/2" of string length or about four times what the factories put in them. And with the ones on my bow I don't even need to serve in the peep. There just isn't any way for it to move.

Now don't go thinking that you just need to put all those twists in the string and everything will be hunkie-dorie. This is going to shorten the string quite a bit and is going to whack the bow way out of specs. The answer is to experiment a little bit and buy a longer string so that when twisted it's the proper length. You're probably talkking about 1" longer to start with.

The people who know how to do their own adjusting and can deal with these things have the right answer. They buy better strings for their bows that do not creep over time and use a peep without the tube. Good aftermarket string like those mentioned take maybe 50 shots to settle in to the bow and after that you can install a peep without a tube and it will not rotate. Frankly this is the answer to many problems with bows. Strings that creep do, over time, make the drawlength longer and the peak weight go up, and the bow goes out of tune. The average guy doesn't know this. All he knows is that the bow doesn't shoot as well so he may think it's time for a new bow or new arrows when all that's wrong is the rigging. And just replacing the rigging isn't always the answer because some strings hanging in shops aren't any better than the factory stuff.

OK I've been long winded enough. Hope this helps some.

Kanga 01-19-2006 10:51 AM

Is a peep with the hose to keep it aligned not the way to go these days?
IMHO those tube peeps should be outlawed why any sane person would aim a rubber band at their eye is beyond me.

Get a good quality after marketstring and cable there are a ton of them out there Stone Mountain.WC, VaporTrail,Bowman,Jam and the list goes on. I have been really impressed with the JAM strings made by gibblet here on the forum.

The reason I'm asking is that when I tried a Matthews Switchback, the peep kept getting jacked up
Mathews are not known for having good OEM strings they do creep a lot which wont help with peep rotation.

but when I bought my Alleg, the guy said it wouldn't matter much.
The OEM Bowtech strings are the best OEM strings I have seen in a long time and after you have shot them in around 50 to 100 shots they settle down and have zero creep that is when you should install your peep;)

Did I just put a set of cheap hub caps on a corvette???
If you mean that you put a tube peep on then yes.

Get a Fletcher Tru Peep or the Speciality Archery Hooded Ball Peep and have the shop install it after you have shot the string in.

BigJ71 01-19-2006 01:20 PM

Are tubes with peeps the way to go? It all depends on how anal you are about setups, and your experience level. These kind of peeps are generally for those with less experience or those who can't or don't want to deal with peep rotation.
That statement couldn't be further from the truth.

I use a tube style peep. Infact, Iswitched back to it. The reason? It doesn't matter what string is on your bow there is still a chance your peep will rotate slightly. Weather has alot to do with it. Now the higher quality strings are far better that what most bows come with but they will still move.

I only hunt so this is from a hunters perspective. I want my peep to be where it's supposed to be every time I draw back my bow. In the heat, rain and freezing temps. I switched to a no tube style peep years ago and suffered just as most do. The older style latextubes were heavy and prone to breaking, but the newer silicone tubing is by far and away better than the older rubber/latex ones. So I switched back, glad I did.

I noticed no additional noise and didn't loose and speed either. I also noticed that when I snap the silicone tubing it doesn't have the force as the rubber tubes do. I even went as far as to simulate a snapped tube and it barely made it back to the peep. The key isto have it long enoughjustto turn the peep. This putsthe least strain on the tube so if it were to break it won't hurt anyone. Another thing is to use those little tube clips that attach to your cable instead of tying them like we used to do. Alot of the breaks came from the knot on the cable. This way all you do is slip the tubing on the clipjust like you do on the peep.

That old wivestale is just that.......a wivestale.I knew alot of bowhunters back in the mid to late 80's whenwe allhad tube stylepeeps, I never heard of someone hurting themselves with peep tubing. I heard alot of stories of tubes breaking (including my own) but no one including myself ever got hurt. We used to tie a spare tube around the riser for a quick replacement in the field.

Replacementsilicone tubing can be had for under $4.00 so I change minetwice a year (just before hunting season and right after) This ensures me that it won't snap because it's dried out. I probably don't have to change it that often, but I know for sure that it will work.Before anyone says it, there isalways a chance of it getting damaged while you are walking and such, but then again so canalot of other things on your bow as well.

To me it's ano brainer, With the tubing my peep will be where it's supposed to be every time. Nothing wrong with tubeless peeps, and with a quality string most will stay put......maybe.;)

No, you didn't just put a set of cheap hub caps on your vette.:D

paka 01-20-2006 01:56 AM

I thinks I'll try the tubbing style, sounds to work well with fingers.