Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Building a bow press >

Building a bow press

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Building a bow press

Old 01-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default Building a bow press

I've almost always worked on my own bows, but had to do it as a wrestler on the carpet, and the newer bows are just getting too hard to take the weight off, take clear down and put back together without taking a chance of screwing something up. Besides, the next bow I own may not even have a dealer/shop in the area, I like to do it myself, and I've always liked adjusting everything myself........getting it the way I want. Any suggestions that will help me in the process? I want to build my press in order to work on parallel limb bows as well as any bow in general.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Building a bow press

I've got welding and fabrication expeirence (Tech Ed teacher), I'd like to build a press also. Does anyone have plans?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Can't help with the plans, but I can offer perspective on what it's like to have a bow press explode in your lap. Let's just say that I'm lucky to have all my fingers and not be singing alto......

That being said, for the 40 bucks a Bowmaster costs, I don't think you can go wrong. I've broken down short ATA bows with up to 70lb limbs without problems. It's not the fastest press, but for "do-it-your-selfers" a few extra moments usually isn't an issue.

Just me two cents......

Fritz
Old 01-15-2006, 05:31 PM

The little portable BowMaster press works awesome. you should check it out and save the cash of a full size press. Took me 3 minutes to pop in some string leeches today.

Best
Old 01-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a link from over at AT of some of the plans for bow presses and some that just had pictures of ones they had built. One looked a lot like the X Press.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=226965
Old 01-16-2006, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

I'm planning on building a bow press as well. Once I come up with some feasible plans.
That said, I was researching some sites about a week ago on the subject and most people replied to the threads author that its dangerous, easy way to break an expensive bow, etc.. Now I've never used a bow press so correct me if I'm wrong. You only put enough pressure on the bow to put slack in the string? This can't be a whole lot of pressure.

Thanks
Dan
Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

If a person doesn't press the bow the right way...sure he can screw it up! A very experienced pro shop screwed up a cam for me once.[:@] I want to make mine adjustable for axle to axle length, varying riser length and limb configuration.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg,

I, too, am about to procure my own press. However, after many endeavors to build things myelf, I've just about come to the conclusion I can have something made professionally -- because of scale of economies -- cheaper and probably better than I can make it myself.

Here's the press I'm going to be ordering in a month or so:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=262693&highlight=toad+press
Old 01-16-2006, 08:34 AM

I too have the bowmaster and have to say it was a great purchase. Its great for field repairs too.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since WWAG doesnt make his press anymore, I'd go with the Ratchet-Lok In cabelas.

Quick Reply: Building a bow press

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.