Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 what arrow size and broadhead? >

what arrow size and broadhead?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what arrow size and broadhead?

Old 01-08-2006, 02:39 PM

Default what arrow size and broadhead?

i am shooting a hoyt rintec and 55lbs what arrow would yall suggest i use and what size? also what would be a good broadhead?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Default RE: what arrow size and broadhead?

what draw length?what grain broadhead?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:29 PM

its at 25in draw length and i dont know what grain arrows to use.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:41 PM

Well, ya sound rahter new to the sport so I'll make this one short. You don't need to even think about broadheads for at least six months.

As for an arrow I think I'd be looking at Gold Tip XT 3555.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Gold tip arrows.... When you do choose to get broadheads go with a mechanical like spitfires.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:13 AM

I just started shooting and the Gold Tip 5575 are working great for me.

Just a question/concern, is he carrying enough KE with that bow to shoot mechanicals?

25"draw length and 55# doesn't really convert into blistering speeds and then throw a lighter arrow into the mix and I am not seeing how he could effectively shoot mechanicals. Not trying to bash his set-up, I just think a fixed broadhead might be a better choice for him when he decides to purchase some.

Anyone agree or disagree?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Spike

I would try reading this:

http://www.huntersfriend/arrowhelp/arrow-selection.htm
Old 01-09-2006, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Bols

I just started shooting and the Gold Tip 5575 are working great for me.

Just a question/concern, is he carrying enough KE with that bow to shoot mechanicals?

25"draw length and 55# doesn't really convert into blistering speeds and then throw a lighter arrow into the mix and I am not seeing how he could effectively shoot mechanicals. Not trying to bash his set-up, I just think a fixed broadhead might be a better choice for him when he decides to purchase some.

Anyone agree or disagree?
I agree with everything you stated and I'm a big spitfire fan. However, his set-up has no business shooting spitfires.

I have already damaged a relationship with one of my friends because he is shooting ultra light GT arrows total weight of 304 grains and he is using 2 inch mechanicals.He hasn't shot at a deer yet, but keeps talking about how great it will be hunting with me in 2006. I don't know what to say because I don't even want to be on the samemountain with that mess waiting to happen.[:@][:-][:@]

Bama,

I also recommend the Gold Tip Hunter XT 3555 arrows for your set-up. Put a 100 grain G5 Montec fixed blade broadhead for hunting deer size game.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:10 AM

As a post-script 6 months ahead of schedule, mechanical heads are definitely out of the question with this setup. Stick with a fairly narrow fixed blade head to maximize penetration and you should be fine, Something I have always liked, and use, is the 75gr InnerLoc (1 1/16" cut).

There is nothing wrong with your drawlength and the bows weight. You just need to stay within practical limits in your broadhead choice.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:04 PM

I am really happy someone else replied, to back up what the point I was trying to make here. It isn't about me being right or wrong, as a new bowhunter myself, I need all of the information I can get fromwise bowhunters.

I am happy we can steer this fella into the right direction.

It wasn't a slam on his equipment, shoot within your limits.Bowhunting isn't about having the longest draw and the highest poundage. It is about ethicallykilling the game youhunt. Your set-up will kill deer. No questions asked. But you need to have the proper equipment. From a user specific draw length/weight bowto the proper arrow selection. All of thismakes a difference. In the best interest of the game you intend to hunt, stay away from mechanicals until your KE level jumps up a bit.

Don't be ashamed of shooting fixed blade broadheads. I am shooting Gold Tip 5575 (363.55 grains) @ 230 f.p.s. and I won't even consider looking into mechanicals until I get my KE levels above 55. I believe I am right at 43 at the moment. I am planning on getting my poundage up to 60 before next season. Even at 29" of draw length, I need more speed out of my bow first. Even then I may not even shoot mechanicals.

Keep on shooting your bow. You may find that slowly over time, you can increase your poundage. But in the end, don't worry about broadhead selection till next June. That way your performance measures in form, bow setup, etc will be closer to what you want to be hunting with.

The 6 months you will wait will definately help you narrow down your broadhead choices next summer. Work on your shot placement first, then worry about the rest of the equipment you need.

Quick Reply: what arrow size and broadhead?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.