Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Aaaagh!!  My old beloved PSE Edge just broke!!!! >

Aaaagh!! My old beloved PSE Edge just broke!!!!

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Aaaagh!! My old beloved PSE Edge just broke!!!!

Old 01-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Aaaagh!! My old beloved PSE Edge just broke!!!!

OMG... I am the luckiest guy around to still be able to have all 10 fingers, both hands, and still relatively okay (shaken, but okay).

I was just out shooting my old 1996 PSE Edge 1000C lefty compound bow into my new Block 4x4 target that I got for Christmas.

Everything was fine, there were no signs of anything going to explode, then all of the sudden right when I hit the release....
BAM!!!!!!!
The whole bow string broke right at the tear drop cables!! I have a small cut at on my right hand at the base of my thumb near the wrist (I shoot lefty), and a nice bump which will most likely bruise soon.

This "was" my bow showing all the components:

Yup... The old style round wheel dual cam type of bow. Here's it's specs if you are wondering:

1996 PSE Edge Series 1000C
65# draw, 65% letoff, 30" draw length
TM Hunter lefty arrow rest
Tru-Glo 3 pin sights
S-Coil stablizer
Limb Savers
String Leeches
Shurz-a-peep

I don't know about getting the old bow fixed back up, since it exploded and I am not sure of any limb damage.

It's sad... I love this old bow and how it feels. But I wonder if the repair would be worth it or, should I just strip it down and buy a new bow?

Thanks for the advice!

Butch A.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Aaaagh!! My old beloved PSE Edge just broke!!!!

It's quite a sobering experience. That happend to me, I got the bow restrung, but never had confidence in it again. Go ahead and by a new one, of course I am gong to say get a Bowtech, Thank God you didn't get hurt any worse than you did. The only thing that happened to me, was I almost knocked myself out with my release.
Again, thank God you're okay.
Bob <><
Old 01-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks.... This was the first (and hopefully last) time anything has ever happend with shooting a bow!

I will look into getting a new bow. I carefully looked over my old PSE Edge bow and the upper limb looks torqued or ever-so-slighly twisted, but I can't be sure. Both cams might be thrown out of whack too.

I can only thank God that my XX75 arrow didn't go flying into the next county! [&:] It went 20 yardsand hit the ground right in front of the target.

So.... I like a simple type of bow. 65# or 70# isn't a big deal. I like to clip the release on the string and use a peep sight. I shoot lefty and like easy, no frills, type of bows. Time to do some research and comparison! Maybe this wasa strange wayof telling me that my old bow was tired and needed to be retired. At least the season is winding to an end and I can pick up a bow reasonably cheap!
Old 01-01-2006, 04:56 PM

you might want to look at getting a 2005 bow. they still have quite a few brand new in box 2005 bows on ebay and the price keeps getting lower and lower you might wanna check them out. also i got a new 2006 tomkat for christmas and love it i think my dad said it was right around $500
Old 01-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Butch,

I too recommend BowTech. My buddy got a sweet deal on one at Greentop about this time last year. I think it was around $200 off retail. I'm not sure if they would have any lefties still in stock, but you may want to check it out. I've had my BowTech Liberty for two years now and love it. My bow before that was a 14 year old High Country. I can't believe how old and heavy and awkward it feels now when I pick it up compared to my BowTech.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, I was thinking Tomkat all the way after reading your last post... Get you into a top-of-the-line bow at entry-level prices.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:28 AM

butch, did the cable break you were asking about this summer and the pro-shop guy told you not to worry about it?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup... The bow string busted at one end, and at the other end (probably from the BANG!) the tear drop broke from the steel cable.

My wife helped me look all over my bow. Both of us sighted down the bow limbs, used tape a measure to get a measure of different angles and all sorts of things.

Bad news: The upper limb does have a very, very, slight twist to it. You have to look real closely and sight down the top of the limb from the cam wheel and follow it down to the limb pocket and limb bolt. I am going to the bow shop today and they will most likely tell me, my old bow is finished. Time to check out other models and try get a deal on a 2005 model or maybe even a left over 2004 model.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

hint...BOWTECH....BOWTECH....BOWTECH!!!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

UPDATE.... UPDATE.... UPDATE....

Guys, I just got back from Green Top Sporting Goods (here in Richmond, VA). I brought my old bow up to them after talking to them on the phone. The guys looked all over my old PSE Edge bow and basically gave it last rights.

Long story short, the old bow is finished and will never been the same. They did confirm that the upper limb does have a slight twist and/or probably the limb pocket got torqued or the riser got slightly bent out of alignment.

[/align]It the old bow had serious sentimental value, then yes, they'd order all new tear drop cables and stuff and hook it all back up, but it probably will never shoot as well as it did. The cost to redo the entire bow would start around $100 bucks. But then it'snot worth the hassle of restringing awhole new cable system and new bow string and getting everything all reset back and aligned.
[/align]
[/align]"It has served its time well... Now it's time to look at a new bow...." --- quote unquote
[/align]
[/align]Anyway, I found a nice Parker Hunter-Mag lefty bow in the shop for $339. It felt nice and light, but I don't have any knowledge of Parker bows. I have to do a ton of comparison shopping and get a real nice lefty compound bow with a 30" draw and 65-70# draw weight. I have to look at Bowtech's and dozens of bows to find the one that just "feels right".
[/align]
[/align]

Quick Reply: Aaaagh!! My old beloved PSE Edge just broke!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.