HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Peep Sight Help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/125972-peep-sight-help.html)

buckhunter14 12-21-2005 07:20 PM

Peep Sight Help

I have owned my bow for 3 years now and have done great with it. It shoots very well and I am very happy with it. I have a peep sight that is circular and that has done a good job. Lately, when I pull back one of the 3 strings that attaches the peep to my cable will be in the way of my line of vision through the peep to the target. Also, it is very, very difficult to see out of in light conditions where I should be able to see. I know low light shots aren't good but this is later/earlier in the day than them shots? Any help/opinons would be greatly appreciated. I would like to fix it during the off-season this year. Thanks!

gibblet 12-21-2005 08:01 PM

RE: Peep Sight Help

sounds like the string, below your center, serving needs to be taken off with a bow press and 1/2 twist put in it. if you've had that string for 3 years it may be time (overdue) for a new one. if you do the above and shoot a bit and its fine, but soon turns again, it may be a sign that your string is near the end, and the end is no place you want to reach. it will eventually just come apart.

mofire 12-21-2005 09:12 PM

Sounds like your string stretched a little. You should change your string every couple of years. But you can go longer depending on use. You should get a bow press and twist the string.

Paul L Mohr 12-21-2005 09:18 PM

You could also switch a to a peep that splits the string in two or 4 sections. I don't really like the ones that split it three ways. Or you could go with a rubber cord to align the peep. I'm not real fond of those either.

The low light condition can be solved with a larger peep hole or using a peep replacement like the NO Peep or Hindsite.

I agree with Gibblet though, I think it's time for a new string. A twist may help your situation for the time being though. Using a string loop doesn't hurt either.

Paul

Greg / MO 12-21-2005 10:13 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, buckhunter. I've got a new string on the way from Trophybound Strings (www.trophybound.com) -- some of the best strings I've seen out there for the price. I've heard Gibblet, who responded above, makes some excellent strings, too.

In the meantime, as a quick fix, what I've been doing to limp along for a while is after I've nocked the arrow, I turn my peep with my fingers to align it the way I want it to. I wish it would stay that way, but my string's too far gone... so every time I nock an arrow, I turn it so that two strands are in line with each other on the right side, leaving the third one exactly opposite on the left.

Once I get a quality string that won't stretch (Trophy Bound's are pre-stretched to 800 lbs., and served at 300 lbs.) I'm going to a Fletcher peep that just sits in between two strands of evenly split string.

BigJ71 12-22-2005 12:28 AM

My suggestion would to use a peep with a tube to align it. I have used the very peep you have and it worked fine but I too would getone of the sectionsin the wrong position as the string stretched. I also did not like the peep in low light. I haveusedpeeps that split the string in two and four sections as well, but they too can rotate and block your view.

Not everyone has a quality string on their bow and most don't come with one either. So your only option when you buy a new bow is to replace the string??? Even that's not a guarantee the string won't rotate. Sometimes extreme weather changes can cause even the best strings to rotate slightly.

So I went back to the tube style peep. Why? because I know it will be in the correct postion when I need it to be. I replace the tube before every season and with the new type of tubing (silicone) it's very reliable in all kinds of weather. I have yet to have one break since I switched back. The new style tubing is also lighter and I did not notice any difference in the sound of my bow. I evenstretched it with my handand let it go (simulate a break) and it didn't even make it to my face, it pretty much lost all of it's steam by the time it made it to thepeep. The key is to make sure it is just short enough to rotate the peep into position, you don't want or need to have it super tight.

In the end the peep you choose will be what you like. I am just giving you my opinion.

gibblet 12-22-2005 04:32 AM

mq1, not to step on your toes, but that 800 pound thing is just a bad idea. depending on the material, 300# is overkill. 452x can't stretch that much. the vectran in 452x isn't actually woven into the material. its pure dyneema just like 8125, but thinner, witha strand of vectran inside each strand. this is evidenced with a lighter. 8125 (1 strand) when exposed to a lighter will burn evenly. with 452x the dyneema will burn the same with the strand of vectran inside trailing by about 1/2". 800# will definately start fraying the vectran inside the dyneema, damaging it, and leaving you with a super thin 8125 string. for 8125 string, if you leave it on 200 pounds for about 30 minutes, you'll make 1 adjustment after a few days of shooting and that will be it. why anyone would take a string to about 1/2 its breaking pt. is beyond me. just sayin'.

the brownell materials are no different, with ultra cam having even more vectran than 452x, and already, if you search, you'll find many more instances of catastrophic failure with it (though still very few). that means it can stretch even less and needs less tension to serve than 452x. the ts1+ is a treated version of 8125 to try and add some speed and reduce the stretch, but with not so perfect results.

i guess what i'm saying is taking every last drop of elasticity out of a string just isn't good for it, and in the end gives you a louder bow.

buckhunter14 12-22-2005 08:17 AM

Thank you all for the replies! It has helped alot and after Christmas I am going to go down to theGander Mountainand ask them for some help. Do you think they will be any help or will they just try and screw me? I don't know any technical things about bows so I'm worried they will talk me into something? Thanks again!

gibblet 12-22-2005 09:41 AM

just tell them you want a half twist in the bottom of the string and you want to see if after shooting a few times it will stay put. if it keeps happening - let them talk you into a new string.

BROX 12-22-2005 10:21 AM

If your looking for a low light peep check out the night hawk peep sight
www.nighthawkarchery.com