HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Why are there so few choices of arrows with fletching available? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/124581-why-there-so-few-choices-arrows-fletching-available.html)

Buellhunter 12-11-2005 02:24 PM

Why are there so few choices of arrows with fletching available?

I like feathers instead of vanes.
Not sure why, I just do.
I'm looking to get a new dozen or so arrows and all the catalogs I get only list one or two available with feathers.
Why is that?
Am I missing something?
Should I be shooting vanes instead?
Why is everyone else shooting vanes?

I shoot aSwitchback,65 lbs,27"draw and a WB rest,I use Magnus 125 grain "Nugent" blades for broadheads.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Arthur P 12-11-2005 03:17 PM

RE: Why are there so few choices of arrows with fletching available?

Most guys don't seem to want to mess with the inconvenience of having to treat their feathers to repel water when shooting in damp weather. There are some myths about feathers - like them being louder than vanes or making arrows fly slower or being less durable than vanes- that are complete rubbish, but they are repeated so often many people assume they are true.

Are you missing something? Ha! Are your arrows hitting where you aim? If so, then you're not missing anything. You're hitting what's important.

I think the main reason you see so many vanes fletched arrows in the shops because vanes are cheaper than feathers.My guess isnot many people want to shell out the extra 8 bucks or so for a dozen for arrows fletched with feathers. They don't shoot as good, but at least they're waterproof. ;)

Straightarrow 12-12-2005 04:51 AM

I'm looking to get a new dozen or so arrows and all the catalogs I get only list one or two available with feathers.
Go to a good bow shop. They should have lots of arrow choices and they can put feathers on any of them. If you really want to control your broadhead flight, try the feathers with a helical twist. Feathers also have the advantage of being much lighter than vanes. This gives any given arrow set-up a higher FOC (good for broadheads), and gets the arrow traveling faster off the bow.

It's worth the little extra this costs. I see guys spending $1200 on their bow set-up and then balking at feathers because of few extra dollars. The arrow set-up is far more important than what bow you use to send it on it's way.

Winger 12-12-2005 01:22 PM

Buy whatever shafts you want. Then, buy a Bitzenberger and whatever feathers you want and get after it.

viola! No more problems finding arrows to suit you.

Justin 12-12-2005 05:14 PM

Keep in mind there are a few reputable places that will custom make your arrows for you and you can order them online or over the phone. Lancaster Archery seems to be a good place to get arrows fletched and cut any way you want them and shipped to your door.

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-13-2005 08:24 AM

Without answering your question, my suggestion like above is to purchase a jig and make your own arrows. Worse case scenerio you'll have to have them cut to size and then fletch your own but it's both enjoyable and quality. Most jigs are not that expensive and in the long run will pay for itself. After that you can go the extra and purchase a arrow saw etc...and be self sufficient. Learning is not hard and besides, you already belong to one of the best Technical forums on the web today.

After working in several shops and making more arrows than I can count not to mention strings, bow assembly and repair etc.. I've since either purchased or received as gifts a arrow saw, fletch jig, bow press, string jig, serving jig etc and have a shop in my basement to be self sufficient no to mention to help friends out.

Hint:....Christmas is coming.

Buellhunter 12-13-2005 06:13 PM

Yep, already decided I'm just going to have some custom made or make the myself.
I have a fletcher and a friend has a high speed arrow saw and the stuff to hand crest arrows.

Thanks for confirming my decision to stick with feathers!