Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Outserts coming off in target.... >

Outserts coming off in target....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Outserts coming off in target....

Old 12-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Outserts coming off in target....

I just got into archery and I've been shooting into one of those Cabelas block type targets. I'm using carbon arrows, Cabelas Maverick 230's, made by Easton that are cut to 29" and probably weigh about 385 gr. with the field points on them. I've been using 1 arrow for all of my practice, that is until the outsert and field point come off in the target when I pull it out. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? So far I've had this happen to about 2 arrows so far. Is there any way to stop this from happening? Did the guy who cut the arrows not glue the outserts thoroughly? Being new this is interesting to me.

I'm shooting at a distance of 10 or 11 yards. Draw weight is 60 lbs. and drawlength is 29". Bow is a Hoyt Raider Powerflex. Also, I can see this block is strarting to get shot out a bit and I'm wondering if there is any way to "bring it back" so that I don't have to buy a new one.

I really like being able to practice in the house when it's cold outside and I shoot at least 20 arrows everyday, usually about 35.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:51 AM

Default RE: Outserts coming off in target....

No it's kinda normal after repeated shooting the glue cracks and lets go. I have used a two part epoxy and they have never come loose, I also couldn't get them loose when I wanted to to change tip weight.

as far as the target at that short range the the foam layered targets don't hold up well. short range fast arrows equals rapid target wear. good luck.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Outserts coming off in target....

It does sound to me that the arrow builder didn't take the necessary steps to prevent that.

When I used strait carbons, I epoxy'd carbon inserts in and hot glued aluminum inserts in depending and never had them release. If the builder didn't clean the insides after cutting them, carbon dust won't allow the glues to bond properly. That could be one hypothesis.

You probably will have similiar trouble with the rest of the batch if he hadn't taken the necessary precautions and theres really nothing you can do short of redoing the inserts....