Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Enlighten me on the Spot Hogg >

Enlighten me on the Spot Hogg

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Enlighten me on the Spot Hogg

Old 12-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Enlighten me on the Spot Hogg

I noticed a lot of people shoot the Spott Hogg Sights and was wondering why. It appears they are well made, which is very important, however, it looks as they have regular fiber optic sights that have average brightness.
They seem to be pretty expensive.

I'm looking for a good 5 pin sight for my Mathews that has tooless adjustment, a bubble level, and very bright fiber optic pins with coils of wrap. I've been looking at the Toxonics HD with the vibration dampner.
http://www.toxonics.com/Images/k9-5hd.jpg

Is there a reason that a Spot Hogg is better? I'm thinking with just about any upper end sight the pins will not move once tightened. Am I missing a feature that the Spot Hogg has that other's don't??

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Enlighten me on the Spot Hogg

Spott Hogg is an excellently well biult sight for sure ,it's a little on the pricey side but well worth the money .The only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't stay bright long enough ,and I've found myself leaving the wood's too early in the evening .But there are way's to make this sight brighter ,and that's by making your fiber's longer and running them down along your riser and covering them with a small piece of clear plastic tubing and tie wrapping them to your riser .But Spott Hogg is an excellent sight and tough as nail's .

nubo
Old 12-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is tough as nails, and haspositively the most secure and rugged micro drive system I have ever seen on a pins style sight. You do need tools though to move it, just an allen wrench to turn the micro drive system. For less than $5, you can make the fiber brighter than you need by extending the fiber through a clear tube as mentioned above. When I first extended the fibers on mine, I actually had to trim them down because they were too bright and almost got blurry. A lot of people put too much thought into pin brightness IMHO, once they get to a certain brightness level, they are too bright and seem to get fuzzy.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 PM

sorry but you can't convience me that spot hogg is worth the price compared to others on the market. As far as being tough as nails - what exactly are you doing with your bow that the sight has to be indistructable. And this whole rig to make the pins brighter - no thanks just buy the additional light source available on most of the good sights on the market, including spot hogg.or maybe I'm just wrong.
Any opinion on the vertical inline pin configuration by trophy ridge? It appears there is a better field of view.
Good Hunting!!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: baileyct1

sorry but you can't convience me that spot hogg is worth the price compared to others on the market. As far as being tough as nails - what exactly are you doing with your bow that the sight has to be indistructable. And this whole rig to make the pins brighter - no thanks just buy the additional light source available on most of the good sights on the market, including spot hogg.or maybe I'm just wrong.
Any opinion on the vertical inline pin configuration by trophy ridge? It appears there is a better field of view.
Good Hunting!!
The spot hogg is well worth the price if you value quality equipment and prefer to shoot your bow rather than fiddle with it. If you are the type of person that shoots several setups per year and may end up pulling a sight off a bow to put on another several times a year, the amount of time saved that would normally be spent on dialing in a less expensive sight is well worth the $$$ to me personally. If you are a weekend shooter that doesn't shoot 3-5 days a week year round and doesn't swap the sight onto 2-5 setups per year, it doesn't make sense to spend that much.

I also have the electric light source, and prefer the extended fibers over it. The extended fibers have 2x advantages over the electric light in my experience, the fibers are legal in all states (I hunt in NY where the battery operated light is not legal), and also the battery operated light is TOO bright, and causes a blurring of the pin and distorts the image around it a bit. The extended fibers cost me all of $5, and I simply trimmed them down until I got the brightness level I wanted. Very functional in my opinion, and plenty bright enough for legal shooting light.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:11 PM

I used trophy ridge for half of a 3D season. I just did not like it. Very hard to shoot in between distances. Also, while your top pin has more "visibility", the lower pins are actually covered more then a horizontal pin system. They are not for everyone, but worth a look.

As far as brightness, some states don't allow any electronic attachments, aka lights, to the bow, so they would not be an option. While I don't currently own a SH, one is on my list for Santa.

JMAC
Old 12-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Baileyct1, I actually did end up going with the Trophy Ridge. I didn't like how much view is blocked by the Spot Hogg. I'm sure the Spot Hogg is very well constructed, but there are other sights that are also well constructed and less expensive. I have always used toxonics and never had a problem. I paid 130.00 for the Trophy Ridge, which isn't exactly cheap either.

Cyber
Old 12-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info! Rick James I see your Bowtech logo. I have a Patriot, draw is 27" but i wish it would brake overearlierin the draw cycle. Can I use a 26" draw module and use the cam adjustment to acheive a 27" draw so that there is a longer let-off period?