Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Correct spine

Old 12-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Correct spine

Hello everyone, I think I might have made a mistake in buying new arrows a few days ago. I've been shooting my hoyt magnatec for probably 6 or so years, with great results. I used to shoot easton alluminum 2312's and they were very good. I went to a new archery shop because I had just about run out of 2312's and I needed more, they told me they didn't stock alluminum arrows anymore but they could order them and make them if I wanted. They said they had comparable carbon arrows that they claimed would fly just as well and be about the same price. I bought the carbon arrows, there Carbon Impact Fat shaft xlt 7500's. I went to shoot them and they didn't fly very well with field points, they would not group like my alluminum arrows did. I looked at the Carbon impact website and they recomend a lesser spine shaft. My bow is set at 65 pounds and the draw length I believe is between 26-27 inches. Could the spine of the arrow be makeing this big of a differance or is it my shooting that needs improvement? Thanks for any help, and I appretiate your time,
A clueless noob.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Correct spine

To answer your question- yes- the spine of your arrows can make a big difference.
If you're shooting your aluminums with accurate results then your shooting shouldn't be the issue. The issue sounds like a spine issue to me.

Shoot a group pf 3-5 arrows each back to back and see what happens. If your shots grow with the carbons then it would be safe to say they are not spined the same as your aluminums. Assuming the fletching type & orientation is the same (incase one is hitting & the other is not, or feathers vs. vanes).

Your solution could be as simple as adjusting your fieldpoint weight up or down by 25 grains on the carbon arrows.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:41 AM

Spine is very important with carbons. They tend to have a poor spine tolerance within a dozen. It really helps if someone can spine tune the arrows. Either that, or purchase the most expensive models, which tend to have better manufacturing tolerances. With carbons, I like to shoot them slightly stiff and with a high FOC. I also spine tune them. I can find little difference between my accuracy with either carbons or aluminums when doing this.

You can tune your bow to the spine of your current dozen, not only by changing tip weight, but you can also change the draw weight to affect spine. Shortening your arrow will also stiffen it.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Carbons are nowhere near as consistant as alluminum shafts , not even close . Genraly a slightly stiffer spine will not adversly affect a release shooter , shooting a compound bow . If you were shooting a recurve with fingers the stiffer spine would have a greater adverse effect on your accuracy .

Now if they had given you slightly weaker spined shafts , you would have had arrows flying everywhere , even worst than what you have now .
Old 12-07-2005, 07:15 AM

Thank you for the responses. I got this spine selection chart off Carbon Impact's web site. It says I should be shooting an xlt 5000 or 6000, but I donn't seem to be anywhere's close to a 7500. My bow is already at peak draw weight of 65lbs. would a heavier point solve the problem? Thanks again, Chris
I'm shooing a 26-27 inch shaft at 65 lbs.
[align=center][/align]try to put the
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

would a heavier point solve the problem?
I seriously doubt it , but its a chance , and alot cheaper than a dozen arrows , so give it a try .

The problem is that when you buy dozen carbon shafts , they are not consistant to each other in spine . When you buy a dozen alluminum shafts they closely resemble each other , and will hit the same hole usealy if you do your part , and they match your equipment . There is one carbon shaft I think is good , but its actualy an alluminum shaft wraped in carbon , an acc .
Old 12-07-2005, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

The problem is that when you buy dozen carbon shafts , they are not consistant to each other in spine . When you buy a dozen alluminum shafts they closely resemble each other , and will hit the same hole usealy if you do your part , and they match your equipment . There is one carbon shaft I think is good , but its actualy an alluminum shaft wraped in carbon , an acc .
Ijimmy,

What condition are your all aluminum arrows in after banging the side of a target for a coupleof months before season opens? At 290+ fps my carbon hunting arrows are hard to pull out of any target. When I'm really pulling onmy carbon arrows, I sometimes wounder what damage I may cause if I would have purchased all aluminum arrows. I have considered buying the Easton A/C/C, but always wondered if I would beat them up to the point that their straightness would be way out of wack. What are your thoughts? So far my carbons have been working great.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

MilDotMaster , The thin wall aluminum shafts do have some durability issues , will bend , but I have not had issues , with 13-14-15 mill walll shafts .I know they will bend , but if you treat them with alittel care that is not a big problem . With carbons they break , I have seen several break after being shot thru animals , and a few blow up on release from the bow .

The point I was trying to make is as far as accuracy goes , I never have had a problem with a dozen new aluminum shafts hitting the same or very close to each other , but with carbons , I have seen some horible groups from new set's of arrows , and allso had some that shot fare at first , and then the groups opened up after time , due to what I believe is the spine weakening . With alluminum shafts that has not happened to me , never shot the spine out of an alluminum arrow , and very few have bent on me . They will be slower , as they are heaveyer , but their accuracy is far superior , "In My Experiance ".