Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Just got a used bow, now what? >

Just got a used bow, now what?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Just got a used bow, now what?

Old 11-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just got a used bow, now what?

I just got a Hoyt Raider Powerflex from someone on Ebay. I don't know much about bows, but I do know my drawlength is 29". Anyway I got this bow and a few arrows with it. It has a bow sight, which was probably setup for the last owner, and when I look through it towards the target the arrow doesn't look like it will hit the target. Should I have faith in the bow sight?

I have one of those block targets and they look like they would be easy to miss at 10 yards for someone who has never shot a bow before. I would think that an arrow hitting the ground at a high speed is not good and I don't want to bend the 2 good arrows that came with the bow. Before I fire a shot, I'm thinking about just going down to the local shop and have them look things over and cut some arrows that I bought from Cabelas. How much do you think a shop would charge to give the bow a good going over and setting it up for me?

Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Just got a used bow, now what?

I don't know how much your local shop would charge but it should not be too much if any at all. They will probably look it over for free if they are cutting arrows for you. As far as shooting it into the block, you can start at 10ft and move back from there.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply Big J, it probably seems like a simple question, but to a Newbie like me its a big deal! I'll try 10 feet and hope I don't put a hole in the laundry room door. I just hate the idea of missing with such power being released, as the draw is 60-70 lbs.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will learn so much by having them "check it over and set it up for YOU" I would think it may be $30 or $40 buck plus maybe a few small parts. If it was $100.....it would be way worth it. If you don't, you'll pay anyway by learning the hard way!

Make sure while you do this you have them explain what they're doing and why. These are extremely valuable lessons.

Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

One more thing......when you leave, you'll have confidence that you know what you're doing!

GoodLuck!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I took bow to the local shop here and had them look the bow over. Everything was OK, but they string that connects the cams was rubbing because it was installed the wrong way. The guy fixed that in a minute, he recommended a replacement and ordered one. He also said the string should be replaced every 2 years, so that's going to happen when the strings come in. I was surprised that they had to order the strings, but every bow is different.

I also got a chance to fire my very first shots ever with this Hoyt Raider and compound bows in general. At distances of 10 and 20 yards my shots were just a bit left of the aim point. I also had a dozen of Cabelas carbon arrows cut to length for a total of $6, but all of the other stuff and info was free. I was there for over 1.5 hrs and I'm impressed with how much there is to know about archery and bowhunting. I just regret waiting for so long to get into bowhunting. I have until next October to master my shots and become good at estimating distances in the woods.

The good thing about archery is that I can do it in my backyard and it's more convenient than shooting my guns.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's great. Sounds like you found a great shop. To bad that all shops aren't like that. I have a shop that is like that for me and I don't care what the price is. It is always worth a little more since they take the time to help and teach.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

It won't take you long to be come an addict, get ready to open up your wallet... Welcome to Archery!!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

I fired off some shots with it today in the back yard for a few hours,
probably over 40 shots easily. Some things that I noticed from the start.

1. Field points are a struggle to remove from 10-15 yards out of a Cabelas block type target.

2. I don't like the old Cavalier arrow rest. I had to adjust it so that the Cabelas(Easton) 230 carbon arrows would be supported. It was set up for alum. arrows.

3. I want a Whisker Biscuit ASAP!
4. It is possible to put 5 arrows in the size of a coffee cup and not split them!
5. I was able to keep every shot on the target and that was my goal for today.

I just wish I would have started into this earlier in life, but then again there would have been no purpose for it living in CA for as long as I did. At least here in VA it will serve a purpose, which is deer hunting when the weather is comfortable, unlike it was this morning.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:39 PM

Marine if you buy a bag type target for field tips you will be a lot happier.Super easy to pull arrows(two fingerremoval)They are a burlap type bag with sleeping bag type stuffing in the they last forever only downfall is they are for field points only. When you really start grouping arrows you will damage some, more than likley torn fletching, and broken nocks. Try shooting at a 5 spot target when you are comfortable with how you are shooting.
The wisker biscuit is a great hunting rest, but if you use it a lot for target shooting it has a tendency to tear up and ripple fletching. There is better options out there in my opinion