Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 FYI- Montec Hardness >

FYI- Montec Hardness

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FYI- Montec Hardness

Old 11-22-2005, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default FYI- Montec Hardness

A while back there was a thread the referenced the relative hardness of some BH or another. I asked G5, their reply:

Thank you for your submitting your question to G5 Outdoors. Please see
>below for the response.
>
>
>Subject:Rockwell Hardness
>Question:What is the Rockwell hardness of the Montec?
>Response:On a Rc scale it is 39-42 with the average of 41-42.

At first glancethisseems a bit soft.In my experience,5 minutes on the stones after a head haszipped through a couple of ribs is a small price to pay for a head that flies true andis less likely to shedor break blades.

U_R

Old 11-22-2005, 07:13 AM

Default RE: FYI- Montec Hardness

AMEN!!! Three seasons and no going back. At this rate they'll last forever. Maybe if I ever lose them or break them I'll try something new. HAHA. Yeah right! If by some odd occurance it happens my next heads will be from G5. Guaranteed.

[/align]
Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are definitely a quality head.

I have put the same head completely through a bear and a bull elk and it hardly looked used.

I have heard the complaints about hardness and sharpness. Properly cared for they will do the job and do it well,over and over and over......
Old 11-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot the Montecs for a couple of seasons now, and the sharpness is easy to get with a few minutes and a stone. As far as the hardness goes, regardless of what it is, it is certainly not nearly as hard as all of the !@#$%^& rocks we have in the dirt out here in PA. I have yet to have a head make it through a deer and into the groud without meeting a rock. I have more "practice heads" with bent or blunted points due to these incidental rock strikes. I am certainly not nocking them.....heck, any head will meet it's demise when it hits a rock head on, but come on.......once in awhile it would be nice to hit a soft patch of ground instead of a buried boulder.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Hey, 98redline, it wouldn't be a problem if they didn't penetrate so well. Ha ha.

[/align]
Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 PM

As a rookie 2 years ago in Wisconsin they sold me on mechanical broadheads because "they fly like a field point". Now I live in Oregon where Mechanical is illegal. The local guy sold me a pack of Montec G5 100 and I cannot tell a bit of difference in their accuracy vs my field points and the N.A.P. Spitfires. They leave no doubt about will they perform and I don't care what kind of rocks you hit the G5 has a better chance of being reusable than any moving part or assembled component head. O.K. I am rookie but thats my opinion.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:19 PM

I do love the look of those heads,but the idea of haveing to re-sharpen them after a practice or a hunt,,I don't think I could do it.I always want blades as sharp as NAP blades,,not going to happen if I'm the one behind the stone.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:09 AM

IMO, no head should be shot straight out of the pack. I sharpen every head before it makes it to my quiver. I sharpen everyone after I shot anything with it.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:02 PM

Don't worry, they are really easy to sharpen. Even a chimp could do it! The cutting edges are set so two contact the stone at a time, automatically setting the honing angle. Simple. Push forward, turn, push forward, turn......etc., etc., etc.

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: Droptines

I do love the look of those heads,but the idea of haveing to re-sharpen them after a practice or a hunt,,I don't think I could do it.I always want blades as sharp as NAP blades,,not going to happen if I'm the one behind the stone.
[/blockquote]
Old 11-25-2005, 07:22 PM

[:-]ewolf,,you must not know the legendary blades from NAP ??.Diamondized blades,, NO WAY your going to get them any sharper !!!

Quick Reply: FYI- Montec Hardness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.