Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 question about FOC >

question about FOC

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

question about FOC

Old 11-13-2005, 05:21 PM

Default question about FOC

Hi, just wondering if a 12.5 is to much foc for a beman ics 400 at 28 inches, fletched with feathers and tipped with thunderhead 100, my arrows seen to start dropping off quick after 25 yards.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:34 PM

Default RE: question about FOC

check out http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhelp/arrow-selection-2.htm I think your FOC is a little high. Tinker with some arrow lengths and heads to get it within specs.I think around 9% is the magic #...dont quote me. Good luck too ya.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:38 PM

Ideally you need to be in between 8 and 12%. Check out Eastonarchery.com for downloads on arrow selection.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:29 PM

Wow, 8-12 sounds pretty low for a hunting arrow to me. Maybe for mechanicals, but for fixed heads I would want more than that. I mean 12% would be ok, but 8 sounds low unless your bow and arrows are tuned really well.

Paul
Old 11-14-2005, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If my bow is tuned and my arrows are grouping broadheads good , I could give a rip what my foc is. Give me a setup with an foc of 8 and I'll get it shooting nocks off. Give me a setup shooting an foc of 15 and I'll get it shooting nocks off. See my point?
FOR the OVERLY CONCERNED
Old 11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be more inclined to think you've got a tuning issue that's making your arrows nosedive rather than the arrow's FOC %. Like maybe your nock point is too high? Or maybe your bow just isn't capable of driving an arrow flat to 30 yards, with your draw length at your draw weight.

If all is as it should be... bow properly tuned and you're not dropping your bow arm when you shoot, for instance... just use your 30 pin once you get beyond 25 yards. If you're using a single pin setup, sight it in at 27 yards and that should put you close at all distances up to 30.

I certainly wouldn't advise going lighter on broadhead weight. Your arrows are awfully light already, IMO. I think hunting arrows should never be below 400 gns.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Art on this one. I'd look for bow tune also. 12.5% is not too high by any means. In fact it's almost ideal.

Of course any arrow is going to start dropping off pretty well after 25 yards, even with field points. That's what they do. And the slower your bow is the more they will drop. You can normally look for about 6" drop from 20 to 30 yards with a bow shooting about 250fps or a little more. THAT'S WHAT ARROWS DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

foc has to do with the balance of the arrow...what does mech,or fixed blade heads have to do with that?Also you CAN have a 540gr arrow with an 8% foc....You can have a 350gr arrow with 14% foc...7-15% is the accepted range with 9-10% being ideal.Your arrow is only about 377gr.It shouldn't be dropping off @25yds(I'm using one pin from 0-40yds with field tips,my arrow weighs the same as yours,but I'm not sure of how fast your bow is going)..The feathers are the reason why your foc is high,they are very light.It is still in acceptable range,but it is a hair high.So you can balance it out by dropping your tip.An 85gr tip will put you with an 11.1% foc,weighing in at 362gr.75gr tip will give you an arrow weight of 352 gr,andgive you a 10.1% foc,and is what I would recommend.OOps...what poundage are you shooting?352would bescraping bottom for a 70# bow.In that case I would go back to vanes,and keep your current head.That would put you at 394gr,and an foc of 10.1%.AND WOULD GIVE YOU A PERFECT BALANCE OF SPEED,AND ENERGY.Rocky mountain has a great 75gr head.It is called the Premier..it's a fixed blade head.Wasp has a variety of 75gr heads also..Hope I helped.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 PM

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies and info, my bow setup is a darton vapor, draw length is 29 and i'am shooting 63 pounds, through paper i shoot perfect bullet holes and i can keep 3 inch groups out to 40 yards, this only started happening when i went to carbon arrows fletched with feathers, i took a few arrows and fletched them with vanes to lower my foc and it seemed to help some, my aluminum arrows are 10.2 foc and seem to fly alot better and have less drop off than the carbon arrows, and the bow is shooting 267 through a chronograph.thanks again for all the replies.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Ok cool,then I would go with the 75gr head for sure!!That's 5.5grains per pound,the foc will be 10.1%.It should give you a little more speed too.Maybe 4-5fps...Hope I helped.

Quick Reply: question about FOC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.