HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   1 pin site vs. multiple pin site (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/120863-1-pin-site-vs-multiple-pin-site.html)

2sports 11-13-2005 11:41 AM

1 pin site vs. multiple pin site

Which one? I have been hearing that these days a 1 pin site is the better way to go, but having 3-5 pins takes the adjustment out of your shot? Does anybody here shoot 1 pin? Are they worth the trouble? PLease advise.

2sports

WindsorArcher 11-13-2005 11:57 AM

RE: 1 pin site vs. multiple pin site

I shoot one pins exclusively. I started out with a three pin. It was nice, but for a shot longer than 25 yards (it wasn't much of a bow!), aiming was nothing but guessing. When it comes to shooting, I'd rather not guess. So, I'd say that fixed pins don't "take adjustment out of your shot", but rather put it into the shot. As soon as I tried an adjustable one pin, I was sold - I'll never go back. I'd rather shoot instinctive!

Now, for hunting, it won't make too much difference, unless you're hunting the plains and you're taking long, long shots. I find most of my hunting shots are 25 yards or less, and my bow is very flat out to about this distance. So, I lock my adjustable on 20 yards and leave it there for the season. Of course, if I need to take a longer shot, I can adjust it. Remember, archery is getting as far from your target as possible and still hitting the target; bow hunting is getting as close to your target as possible before making a killing shot.

I'm still using an old Sightmaster Elite 2000. It's a good, affordable one pin, but it's way too dim. I wouldn't reccomend it. I'm looking to upgrade to a good HHA next year. There's lots of good brands out there. I'm sure if you do a search on here, you'll find lots of opinions.

DROCK 11-13-2005 01:00 PM

I have a Savage Pendulum sight. Just one pin. All you do is sight it in at 20yds on the ground, then you can shoot from an elevated point. It is accurate to about 35yds. It takes all the guess work out of using multiple pins when that big buck is making his way down that trail!

greenmachine 11-13-2005 01:19 PM

i shoot a 3 pin now but was looking into the pendulum sights. my question is if hunting an area that has hills will afftect it, or if the ground doesn't have to be flat.

fletch953 11-14-2005 12:39 PM

I have shot with 5 pins for years and enjoyed being able to have the flexibility, but now I have a Bowtech that shoots out to 50 yds with one pin and really enjoy not having to worry about yardages.

BigJ71 11-14-2005 02:40 PM

I still use a three pin. I guess old habits die hard. To me there is no guess work at all. I have mine set at 20 30 40. For shots that I know are at say...25yds I simply put the kill zone between my 20 and 30yrd pins same goes for a 35yrd shot. So by having three pins (and not 5) I have 5 ranges already set and only three pins so my sight is not cluttered and I have no trouble seeing the animal. I don't have to go out and get a super fast bow nor do I have to worry about moving my sight.

If you don't have a fast bow or if you shoot heavy arrows then you may find yourself having to hold over on longer shots, but how much? This is why I like multiple pin sights. With multiple pin sights I have even learned toguage adistance ofan animal by how much between the pins it's torsotakes up. Something you can't do with a single pin set up. This is all just my opinion though, I think if you practice enough with any type of sight you will be comfortable with it and that's half the battle. For me, I like to keep it simple.

BGfisher 11-14-2005 05:19 PM

Some decent responses by the guys. Both types of sights have their merits. Each has it's draw backs, too.

Personally I like a single-pin-adjustable for hunting here in Pa. The single pin obstructs your field of view less. You can't pick the wrong pin. If you have a bow that shoots about 260fps or more then you can set it for about 25 yards and shoot anything from 5 to 30 yards, without doing any adjusting. For the occassional longer shot when you have time to range the animal and everything is right for the shot you have the ability to move it. You can use the same sight for practice and 3D where longer shots may be the norm.

Multi-pin sights have been around for decades and proved themselves so there isn't much to say about them.

As BigJ said, it's really a matter of practicing with what you choose and becoming intimately familiar with it

I'm kind of anal about things like this so make suggestions based on my personal experience. I do not like, and will not have a sight with any plastic on it. Plastic is some thing that can be made cheap and it's what you get---cheap. It can break (I've done it), rattle, or just plain be a pain in the a$$. A good sight should have a metalpin guard that encompasses the pin (s) very well just in case some twig should try getting at the fiber optics. Bright fiber optics without an artificial light source is paramount, too. I don't need to have a battery go dead at the wrong time, and usually when you can't see your pins it's time to get home anyway. OH,, it's gotta have metal pins also. Plastic just doesn't get it.

In a single pin adjustable Windsor has a good idea with the HHA OL-series. I use an OL-5000, IMO, one of the best hunting sights of it's type.

There are lots of sights out there. Maybe a thousand of them by the time you read all this. Look at them all and take your time. By the time you get done looking you can bet someone will come out with something "new and exciting".

ranchand99 11-14-2005 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Ranger10

I have a Savage Pendulum sight. Just one pin. All you do is sight it in at 20yds on the ground, then you can shoot from an elevated point. It is accurate to about 35yds. It takes all the guess work out of using multiple pins when that big buck is making his way down that trail!
Agreed!!I used that exact sight for years with great success.I would highly recommend it for slower bows.I am using 1 tritium pin on my fixed sight.Because my bow is fast enough that I don't need a pendulum anymore..I like having 1 pin,it helps alot "in the moment" when you could potentially use the wrong pin,or anything.Too many pins in the sight picture is just not for me.

Paul L Mohr 11-14-2005 08:24 PM

I use three or four pins. I like the single pin adjustable sights for target shooting but not hunting. I really only use one or two pins when hunting since I limit my shots to around 25 yards, I use the extras for practice.

I have never actually used the wrong pin when shooting. I have forgot to adjust my one pin though and missed. And my bow is not that fast, so a one pin adjustable would mean I would have to hold high at 25 or 30 yards or adjust the sight. Something that isn't to easy to do with a deer infront of you;). With a multi pin sight I can just gap shoot for inbetween yardarges.

You can also use a multi pin sight to range a deer if you practice with it. Another advantage a multi pin sight has is at longer distances you can verify the arrow trajectory and see if anything is in the path. Like say you shoot at something 30 or 40 yards away. The arrow does not shoot flat (at least not mine) so you can use the other pins to see your arrow might hit a branch or something on the way to the target.

If I had a faster bow and strictly bow hunted with it I would probably use a red dot to be honest.

Paul

2sports 11-14-2005 11:36 PM

Most of my hunting will be in the 10-30 yard range for black bear and moose. Eventually my shots will be longer, about 45-60yards for caribou in the wide open tundra. So basically what i am getting is that for the shorter distances (0-35 yards) a 1 pin site is pretty good with less pins in the site picture. I will check out the Sportsmans Warehouse here in Anchorage and see what they got. Thanks for all the feedback.

2sports