Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Interesting experiment........field test >

Interesting experiment........field test

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Interesting experiment........field test

Old 11-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Interesting experiment........field test

I've been wanting to refletch some damaged arrows. I ran across the shrink fletch in a magazine. For $15, I decided to give them a go. They only offered them in straight, not right helical.

See the attached groups at 30 yards. The group on the left was shot with the original fletching. The group on the right was shot with the recently installed shrink fletch.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Interesting experiment........field test

Here's another view....notice how bad the shrink fletched arrows on the right must have been fish-tailing. They're all crooked.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

It looks like there has to be some contact on the fletching to have that much noticable difference in the way the arrows are pointed in the target.Definately some contact somewhere.

Are the cock vanes set up the same.I am not a fan of the shrink vanes but I would think they would do better than that when tuned.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:18 PM

i didnt think the shrink rap fletching was all that great when i seen it anyways. did they shoot like this every time or did you only shoot once.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

No fletching contact. I use the QuikTune 360 rest and yes the cock vanes are all pointed the same. The fletchings do not touch my cables either....they are actually a bit shorter than the "original" fletching.

The biggest difference is the shrink fletch is straight and I feel they do not spin as much therefore are not as stable.

Everything else about the experiment was the same.

ORIGINAL: TFOX

It looks like there has to be some contact on the fletching to have that much noticable difference in the way the arrows are pointed in the target.Definately some contact somewhere.

Are the cock vanes set up the same.I am not a fan of the shrink vanes but I would think they would do better than that when tuned.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, I shot several groups with just the shrink fletch arrows and could not get them to group up. Went in to get the "regular" arrows and they grouped fine.

That's when I decided to shot them side by side. The photo was the 3rd test. I would alternate back and forth between the 2 sets.

ORIGINAL: Turkeyman1

i didnt think the shrink rap fletching was all that great when i seen it anyways. did they shoot like this every time or did you only shoot once.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:19 AM

The biggest difference is the shrink fletch is straight and I feel they do not spin as much therefore are not as stable.
I don't think that alone would explain such poor and inconsistant entry angles, unless your arrow are not really very suited for your set-up. Lot's of guys out there shooting straight fletch with a lot better results than that. In fact, I think I get results that good, when using no fletch at all. I also can't imagine how this could be caused by the fletch itself. Are these fletches significantly different weight?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Were there any bubbles, wrinkles or other deformities in the plastic material that actually shrinks to the arrow between the vanes?

Are they tight on the shaft? Been hearing a lot of folks saying they become loose and move around real quick.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The arrows are the same, I bought 4 boxes pretty cheap. The only difference is the fletching. You brought up a good point. I have no idea what the weight difference was between the original fletching and the shrink fletch.

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

I don't think that alone would explain such poor and inconsistant entry angles, unless your arrow are not really very suited for your set-up. Lot's of guys out there shooting straight fletch with a lot better results than that. In fact, I think I get results that good, when using no fletch at all. I also can't imagine how this could be caused by the fletch itself. Are these fletches significantly different weight?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

No bubbles, wrinkles or other deformities in the plastic material and yes, they are tight to the shaft.

ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper

Were there any bubbles, wrinkles or other deformities in the plastic material that actually shrinks to the arrow between the vanes?

Are they tight on the shaft? Been hearing a lot of folks saying they become loose and move around real quick.

Quick Reply: Interesting experiment........field test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.