Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 goldtip arrows`` >

goldtip arrows``

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

goldtip arrows``

Old 10-30-2005, 03:18 AM

Default goldtip arrows``

Anyone know if the goldtip 75/95's are spined heavier than the carbon express select 60/75's.

[/align]
Old 10-30-2005, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: goldtip arrows``

Lighter
Old 10-30-2005, 09:51 AM

With model #'s like these you can easily tell which is spined heavier or lighter. With model #'s like 30034 you might have to look up the arrow charts and compare.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:14 PM

the reason i asked before buying is that ive read numerous complaints about the goldtips not being spined heavy enough.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: thruthevitals

the reason i asked before buying is that ive read numerous complaints about the goldtips not being spined heavy enough.
Whats you draw length and weight? If you have first hand information from a "reputable" dealer/archer about spine issues then maybe you already have your answer. I cant imagine Gold Tip, the leading manuf. of the best arrows on the market, have a weak spined arrow (75/95). Maybe do some more research, call manufactures and techs......?????
Old 10-31-2005, 05:03 AM

I cant imagine Gold Tip, the leading manuf. of the best arrows on the market, have a weak spined arrow (75/95).
If I shoot a heavy enough draw weight, they're all too weak. The real question is, do the spine charts accurately predict the proper spined arrow to use, for a particular manufacturer?

In the case of Goldtip, I'd say generally they don't for a compound shooter using a mechanical release. I've bare-shaft tested many Goldtip combinations. I've had a 28 1/2" 5575, 100 grain tip, 29" draw length, with a cam that shot this arrow at 265 fps, have perfect spine at 63 lbs. This is just one example. I've done this many times with different combinations of these parameters, and they've all tested to have perfect spine at a relatively low weight.

It seems to me, that Goldtip likes to put the ideal spine in about the middle of the rated range. This may be best, considering that many types of archers will use their arrows, including target shooters, finger shooters, and those with primitive bows. Personally, I prefer stiff arrows, over weak ones, and since I know how to determine the ideal spine, it doesn't bother me how they rate them. I'll figure out which arrow I need before I lay my money down.

One gripe I have, has to do with all manufacturers of carbon arrows. There are too few spine ranges for my tastes. In my opinion, to shoot a good broadhead with some of these arrows, it will require that the archer carefully choose an arrow setup that will match his bow, or be willing to raise or lower draw weight to hit that perfect spine. The first option requires experimentation with tip weights and arrow lengths. Few hunters do this. Most use the shortest arrow they can get away with and put a 100 grain tip on it, no matter what the consequence.

Hunters spend weeks researching which bow to buy, when that decision makes almost no difference. They should be putting that kind of time into the ideal arrow setup for them. Yet, I usually see the typical afterthought, "Oh yea, add in a dozen of whatever arrrow you have that is cheapest." Maybe the day will come when shop owners, as well as hunters, put the importance of proper arrow selection into it's deserved perspective.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:37 PM

Im shooting a 190grn treeshark, 29" shaft, carbon express terminator select 60/75. I had to incorporate the magnock system to get the poundage up to 58#. Am getting 210fps which if i recall is about 53# Of KE. I would like to be able to get the draw weight up to 63# to get better penetration. I was just playing around with this set up earlier in the year and i have ended up really liking it, except for not getting the shaft completely through the the deer that iv taken so far this season. No problem with recovery or blood, just would like to get better penetration utilizing a carbon arrow. Gold tips are the only ones that ive seen that go to 95#. None of the arrow charts have a 190grn field point listed in their selection charts.Had to make some adjustments to my string loop and release to be able to use a 29" shaft, so that the broadhead would not pull into the riser. Thanks for the relpys
Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

None of the arrow charts have a 190grn field point listed in their selection charts.
Is there any special reason you are using 190gr tips.

The reason is with that heavy of a tip you might have trouble find a carbon arrow that will spine correctly for you.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Why such a heavy broadhead? You need to check out Easton's website for their arrow selection guide download. It is a neat tool. You don't have to buy Easton's but it definetly showed me a few things. If you have a 29" arrow and 190 grain broadhead then your F.O.C. (front of center balance) is way off. That could be a solution to your penetration problems. You could also try shooting a shorter arrow. I was shooting a 28" arrow and I chopped an extra inch off that I really didn't need. It makes you faster. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:30 AM

If you have a 29" arrow and 190 grain broadhead then your F.O.C. (front of center balance) is way off.
What do you mean by "way off"?

Personally, I think it would be a great combination on a stiff arrow. It would likely result in a relatively high FOC, which is a good thing.

Quick Reply: goldtip arrows``

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.