Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I shot the new 06 Hoyt Tricon today >

I shot the new 06 Hoyt Tricon today

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I shot the new 06 Hoyt Tricon today

Old 10-20-2005, 06:43 AM

Default RE: I shot the new 06 Hoyt Tricon today

Now check out the "limb pocket" vs the "new" PSE limb pocket

Old 10-20-2005, 11:26 AM

That new Hoyt is a nice looking bow thats for sure!

Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 PM

Good lookin' bow. I'd like to try one. [8D]
Old 10-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

So if dodge makes a truck that looks similar to Ford does that mean the copied them. NO. Just because one company made the 4 door extended cab and the others added it does not mean the others are junk or can't develop their own ideas. Some ideas are just very good and companies will follow. Bowtec may have come up with modern paraellel limbs and that is fine. It works so others will follow. Hoyts big advantage has always been the tec riser. Combine the two and I bet you have a great shooting bow. Everyone just needs to shoot what they like and not get so caught up in the brand name. Like others have said they are all great bows. Shoot what feels best to YOU.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I got my wish with the Hoyt bow.

My personal opinion is Hoyt risers are better than anyone else's. This is strictly my OPINION. The truss style by its nature is stronger and stands to reason. I also think Hoyt's limb pockets are better. Now, take a longer TEC riser, with a parallel limb design and it should be one awesome shooter.

I'm not saying I'm gonna switch to Hoyt, but I'm gonna give it an honest try. I somehow don't think I'll buy a new bow this year. I have sentimental connections to my Allegiance now.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish i had a dealer close to me to give it a good test run.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

My personal opinion is Hoyt risers are better than anyone else's. This is strictly my OPINION. The truss style by its nature is stronger and stands to reason.
Serious question here. I don't doubt your contention at all, muzzyman. The thought just hit me though, as I was reading your post. We're all familiar with the fact that modern top-notch bows shoot better than we humans are able to (e.g., put any top-end bow in a Hooter Shooter and it will put numerous arrows through the same hole). To that point, then, how strong does a riser need to be? I mean, all of mine have stood up to the rigors of hunting... and if they're all strong enough to handle the stresses of shooting, hunting, etc., does it matter if one certain riser design is stiffer/stronger?

It's sort of like overkill after a point: Like a nylon strap that a harness maker might use which is rated to 6,000 lbs. vs. one that's rated to 8,000 lbs. I know, someone's gonna say why take chances with your life... that's not the point. Hopefully the analogy makes sense since I don't think anyone's going to get close to putting 6,000 lbs. of pressure on a harness.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MQ1shooter

My personal opinion is Hoyt risers are better than anyone else's. This is strictly my OPINION. The truss style by its nature is stronger and stands to reason.
Serious question here. I don't doubt your contention at all, muzzyman. The thought just hit me though, as I was reading your post. We're all familiar with the fact that modern top-notch bows shoot better than we humans are able to (e.g., put any top-end bow in a Hooter Shooter and it will put numerous arrows through the same hole). To that point, then, how strong does a riser need to be? I mean, all of mine have stood up to the rigors of hunting... and if they're all strong enough to handle the stresses of shooting, hunting, etc., does it matter if one certain riser design is stiffer/stronger?

It's sort of like overkill after a point: Like a nylon strap that a harness maker might use which is rated to 6,000 lbs. vs. one that's rated to 8,000 lbs. I know, someone's gonna say why take chances with your life... that's not the point. Hopefully the analogy makes sense since I don't think anyone's going to get close to putting 6,000 lbs. of pressure on a harness.

Any thoughts?

Bingo !
we all have been shooting bows for many, many years, and i dont think anyone has ever had a riser fail, or limb pockets.
These are marketing ploys to get you to buy a new bow.
It comes down to how a bow feels when you use it, and in my opinion hoyt sucks in that department. Noisy, vibrates like hell, no valley, not near the top of my list as a good shooting ( feeling) bow.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

zrexpilot

There have been thousands of riser failures,what do you think happened to XI?They made the grips area too small for a single truss style riser to withstand the stress that a riser goes through and they snapped,usually on someones head.OUCH!!!!

Hoyt is able to make anextremeley small grip while still maintaining strength and stability during the shot.Other than being different with the look this is the main advantage.The look from a marketing stand is brilliant,when you see a Hoyt,even from a distance,you know it's a Hoyt and after a while ityou start thinking there must be something to those Hoyts because there seem to be alot of them out there.The rest of the brands just seem to blend in with the rest.

Now for the Tricon.I shot it tonight and it was OK and there was no shock or vibration but that is the furthest thing down on my list when shooting a bow.The most important is where will the arrow go when I am less than perfect and how well does it hold on target for me.I don't like a 33" bow PERIOD and the parallel limb design isn't impressing me either.These limbs lay completely flat when at full draw and you are holding a box and this isn't conducive to a forgiving bow.I could tell right away the bow wanted to tilt back and forth in my hand and I had to conciouslykeep the bow level.Not something I want to have to think about when shooting.The XL should be better but I believe it would be similar.I actually could have shot it too but didn't really need too.The 2nd thing I don't like is the 1 3/4"reflex.I prefer not to go below 1 1/4" reflex and prefer a deflex riser.

All in all,if you like a parallel limb bow you will be impressed with this bow.It has the best limb techology on the planet right now so limb failues that have been associated with parallel limbs SHOULD be gone on this bow.The cam system is awesome and is specific to the Trycon bowsand the parallel limbs.They will not work well on a standard limb angle bow,I already asked.They are draw length specific but there is a draw stop for changing letoff and they claim it will not change draw length(I will have to see it to believe it)It would be better if it did for minor draw adjustments.

The strings are ts1 material,made by Fuse,and are stretched with 700 pounds of stress before serving so they should be well made.

I think my Xtec will be around another year for huting,unless I decide toreplace it with a Protec.I have a target Protec and it is the best bow I have ever shot.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, I agree with you on the protec as I bought 2 last year. Even though I was impressed with the trycon, I will stick with my protec. I like the longer ata and the protec sure does the job. It sounds like you may have met with a rep.????? That is where I got to see the new bows, and I beleive they will sell alot of these bows...........

Quick Reply: I shot the new 06 Hoyt Tricon today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.