HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   What is the best fletching jig for a amateur (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/116528-what-best-fletching-jig-amateur.html)

Gadeerslayer 10-12-2005 06:39 PM

What is the best fletching jig for a amateur

I now want to start putting my own vanes on my arrows. What is the best, easiest and most accurate jig out there on the marketfor a beginner ? Thanks for your advice...

BGfisher 10-12-2005 07:11 PM

RE: What is the best fletching jig for a amateur

This is so easy. The answer is: Bitzenberger, the same one the pro's use. You can absolutely never wear one out. Get two more clamps and the same jig will do straight, or right or left helical.

hunter9022 10-12-2005 07:27 PM

Either a Bitz, or a Jo-Jan. I like my jo jan, but i never really played with a bitz very much. Look at both and figure out which one you like more.

Goat542 10-12-2005 10:00 PM

I just got a Grayling jig and am also a new guy to fletching arrows. I would NOT recommend it to someone just starting out. Maybe its me, but I can feel "slop" in the dial and its really tough to get all the fletchings the same distance from the end of the arrow. Overall, I'm disappointed in the setup, but hey you gotta at least try it. I'm thinking of getting the Arizone EZ fletch and trying that one out.

Winger 10-13-2005 01:57 PM

Save the yourself some time and effort, just get the Bitz and don't look back. They cost more, yes, but you will eventually want one anyway. JoJan is fine, IF you are fletching certain combinations, but they are not necessarily easy.

TerryM 10-13-2005 03:21 PM

Bitzenburger ! The only way to go.

zak123 10-13-2005 04:00 PM

Bitzenburger

Rick James 10-13-2005 06:26 PM

I really don't think the price on the bitz is in line with the capacity you get for making arrows. I can do a dozen arrows on my jojan 6 arrow setup in about 1 1/2 hours (including scraping and LOTS of drying time), and they aren't that much more. You can even get jojan's cheap used. I paid $60 for mine with 6 strait clamps, and a left helical clamp. My arrows look just as good as my buddy who uses a bitz. The bitz's are nice, but no more precise and certainly not as fast when you can do 6 at a time on a jojan plus they cost more.

Winger 10-14-2005 09:29 AM

I am a long time user of both the Bitz and the JoJan. I have fletched hundreds of arrows with both, most of those with a JoJan. JoJan Multi-fletcher is economically priced and can be a time saver. The Bitz, however, is much more precise, particularly with certain arrow/vane or arrow/feather combinations. Its adjustment with the dials makes it easy to get the right fletch/shaft contact. Plus, whereas the JoJan just sets down on the shaft (with some slop, I might add), the Bitz holds everything positively with the magnets. I would say that either work fine for most applications, but the positive contact of the Bitz is, in my opinion, much better for a beginner.

As for the time factor, I can fletch plenty of arrows for me with a Bitz, especially with vanes. Feathers take more time, sure, but I just stick one feather on as I pass by and another as I pass by again later, no biggie.

Kathwacckkk 10-14-2005 12:42 PM

I am also looking at purchasing a Bitz. Question I have: Do most of you re-fletch arrows that were store bought and already cut & fletched and just need new fletchings?Or do you start with bare shafts? I cannot seem to find a carbon arrow saw for a resonable price that would allow me to start with bare shafts.
Thanks.