HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   HELP - G5 Broadheads will not hit sighted target where field tips hit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/116523-help-g5-broadheads-will-not-hit-sighted-target-where-field-tips-hit.html)

sigarmsp226 10-12-2005 06:15 PM

HELP - G5 Broadheads will not hit sighted target where field tips hit

Need to know if this is a common problem please:::

I shot a Hoyt bow set at65 lbs. I have been shooting the same arrows with the same 100 gr field tips for the past 2 months.At 20 yds I can stackshotsinto a 3" circle. At 30 yds I can maintain a 4" group. Bought a 3 pack of 100 gr. G5's today anddecided to verify that my point of impact. Well - the G5's are hitting 4" lower and 5" to the to the right from wherethe field tipsare hitting. I shot 6 - 2 shot groups at 20 ydsand 6-2 shot groups at 30 yds.

Is it common for 100 gr field tips and 100 gr broadheads to fly so differently. I actually used the samearrows for these shot tests.

Any Help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.... Thanks in advance..

Mark in Mississippi

FINCHASER 10-12-2005 08:31 PM

RE: HELP - G5 Broadheads will not hit sighted target where field tips hit

YES IT IS COMMON. BASICALLY WITH BROADHEADS YOU ARE ADDING VANES TO THE FRONT OF YOUR ARROW. MOST OF THE TIME YOU CAN TRACE PROBLEMS WITH ARROW FLIGHT TO SMALL TUNING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR BOW IE, NOCKING POINT A LITTLE OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. THE REASON IT SHOOTS FINE WITH FIELD TIPS IS THAT WITH ONLY ONE STABILIZING FORCE (THE REAR VANES) IT DOES NOT AFFECT THE FLIGHT THAT MUCH. NOW BRING BROADHEADS INTO THE PICTURE AND YOU HAVE THE FRONT AND THE REAR TRYING TO "STEER" THE ARROW. NORMALLY THE BROADHEAD WINS HENCE THE DIFFERENCE IN IMPACT.LOOKUP EASTON ARCHERYS WEB SITE THEY HAVE A TUNINGGUIDE COMPLETE WITH A BROADHEAD IMPACT DIAGNOSIS.USUALLY IF YOU ARE OFF VERTICALLY AND HORIZANTALY IT MEANS MORE THAN ONE THING IS OUT OF TUNE. HOPE THIS HELPED.

5 shot 10-13-2005 06:31 PM

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html

sigarmsp226 10-14-2005 10:26 AM

FINCHASER and 5 Shot - Thanks for your comments and links. I will get this figured out this weekend and be back in the woods next weekend. I will let you knowwhat I come up with. Could be as simple as "me"... Hand placement, notch location, etc, etc.

Thanks again

Mark in Mississippi

Bulzeye 10-14-2005 12:03 PM

Sig, if for some reason you have an opportunity to hunt before you get it fixed, you can still go. Try shooting them at close range. The error in flight will be less over a shorter distance. You just have to severely restrict your range, and count on having reduced penetration. Of course it would be better to have it all perfect before you go, but there is a 'plan C' for you, if you need it.

Make VERY tiny adjustments. Back in Sept, I saw my 6" difference in point of impact at 30 yds go to 'dead on' with only a 1/4 turn of my limb bolts.

Good luck.
-Bulz

GVDocHoliday 10-16-2005 08:22 PM

Hey Bulzeye, isn't amazing at just how vital spine is inbroadhead grouping? I mean, I get my up and downs in a straight horizontal plane, and then I adjust the weight of my bow until the broadheads and field points are flying true. Usually all it takes is a little movement on the rest, but when the gap stays the same, then you know it's spine and that you have to make an adjustment.

Bulzeye 10-17-2005 06:29 AM

Indeed GV.
In fact, it's almost annoying how small the sweet spot can be, and how easy it is to overshoot. It's worth the work. Nothing quite matches the feeling of seeing broadheads side by side with field points at 40 yards.