Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Regret the Whisker Bisquit >

Regret the Whisker Bisquit

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Regret the Whisker Bisquit

Old 10-10-2005, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Regret the Whisker Bisquit

My brother has a bisquit, he couldn't get a tight group. took it to a pro shop and they said he had a hard time fine tuning it as well, to much contact with the fletching. As for the zerro efect I put one on my hoyt and it's better than I hoped for.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually just switched back from a TR drop zone to the WB deluxe!! The WB has no moving parts, there's not been any one story about a WB "freezing" that I have read any where. Loss of speed, come on, if I loose a foot or even two fps, what does it really matter! I shot my antelope at 60 yards this fall, with a fixed broadhead (inner-loc) with blazer vanes. I guess I must not have a torqueing problem that apparently would be amplified with the WB! Could I have made the shot with the TR drop zone, probably! But I like the full containment when stalking, I was able to lay my bow on the ground as I inched forward, and I knew for a fact that the arrow would stay on my bow and would be ready as soon as I had a shot opportunity. That's one thing I would not have had with the Drop Zone!!
I have no plans of going back to the drop away rest, or any other rest. I'll stick with what works FOR ME!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been shooting and going back and forth to my pro shop fine tuning my bow for the past week since I put the WB on. I've been bowhunting for many years now and have always been pretty consistent with my shooting. I think my form and shooting abilities should be more than adequate for a WB. If lack of form or torqueing the bow is the culprit and magnified more with the WB than I guess I'll never be able to shoot one because I've been shooting the same way for years with not much problem.

Arthur-
I agree that the biggest selling point is the arrow not falling off the rest. I also agree that maybe once in a blue moon the arrow will fall off a 2 prong rest and you just chalk that up as **** happens. You should manage to be able to keep the arrow on the rest while positioning to draw.
However, there is a big difference IMO between the arrow not falling off the rest and not having to worry at all about the arrow not falling off the rest. When you have to conciously take a moment or two to ensure the arrow will not fall of a rest, you're giving something up on the other side. If the arrow not falling off the rest is NO concern (WB) then 100% of your concentration is on your game and positioning for a shot. That is undeniably a great feature to have with a rest.
Is that attribute a big enough factor to offset giving up accuracy?? Not in my opinion. I'll be going back to my 2 prong and go back to my tight groups with my bad form and untuned bow.[:-]
Old 10-10-2005, 06:09 PM

I tested a B-2 Whisker Biscuit arrowrest on an older Hoyt Havoc bow using a Hooter-Shooter to hold the bow. At thirty-five yards the bow shot the exact same hole twelves times in a row.

If the rest sounds loud or you are getting wrinkled vanes the bow is out of tune and or you are shooting the incorrect spine arrows for the bow.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Old 10-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you have to conciously take a moment or two to ensure the arrow will not fall of a rest, you're giving something up on the other side.
I agree with that, but...Someone who has practiced in the offseason, enough so that he knows his equipment thoroughly, knows it is set up properly and knows how it will perform, doesn't concern himself with arrow fall-off either. That's the guy who has found out, on the 3D course or practice range, his arrow has a tendency to fall off the rest on occasion and has made the necessary adjustments/changes to prevent it. Usually just widening the gap between the prongs a tiny bit,so the arrow shaft sits just a smidge further down in the rest, will eliminate the whole problem just as well asa full containment rest.

Now, if he snags the arrow on a twig and nocks the arrow off, that's just poor preparation on his part for not clearing his shooting area properly, if not outright clumsiness.

As far as I'm concerned, full containment rests are nothing more than bandaids for underlying problems. IMO, lack of practice, poor preparation and/or clumsiness are problems to be cured instead of disguised. The popularity of full containment rests is way out of proportion to their actual benefits. But then, the same can be said for single cam bows, short axle to axle bows, scentblock clothing, umpteen different designer camo patterns.... [:-]
Old 10-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Arthur
If you do not or have not used a WB how can you say how it is.

Every one else
The big deal here is how you hunt.Any one that stands in a tree stand.Has no need for a WB.I kill most all my deer/elk on the ground.I do not use a WB at the moment all though I did.I do use a rest that holds my arrow.Ican hold my bow upside down and shoot if need be.This it a trait that is needed by ground hunter.If anything happen to the rest I have now I would go back to the WB.My wife uses one and dose very well with it.

I place my arrow in the bow when I leave the truck and take it out when I get back.I hear a ton of crap over it but every time there is a shot when walking in or out I get it :} This means when the grouse is on the trail. I get to kill mine befor you get an arrow in.And when we jump the big bull after the cow I get to shoot when you get to just watch him walk bywile you are puting an arrow in.Try to tell me you have never walked up on a nice buck and wished you had an arrow in the bow allready.I get to take thouse shots.This is one reason I get to kill elk/deer every year.

I hope the WB will stay around for years.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Arthur
You have got to be kidding me.You make it sound like you never make a mistake with the old stick and string.I would bet my life aginst you on that one.I am very sure you have made misstakes many many more times than you care to addmit.
I know I have shoot many many deer.5 of them over 170 bc.At only 35 I do not think that all bad.I have allso killed some real nice elk. Only 1 over 330 though. I can tell you many times I have made many misstakes.Just as many with the stick and sring as my old mity compound. I shoot a mathews 100 # bow .}

Any rest with moving parts is just waiting for something to happen to it.My bud used one of the dropaway rest for 1 hunting trip.Boy it shot good at the range.

And for your fall off thing :} How many once in a life time shots do you get. I sure hope any of those moving parts dont mess up.

Charles Bradford

Old 10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ELKINMTCWB, I've never stuck my foot in a pool of lava either, and I know how that is. At the club's range, I can look at a person's quiver and tell whether they're shooting a wB or not. I've seen all kinds of problems with them. Also,as a lifelong dedicated ground hunter, I've never ever been in a situation where I felt the need to hold my bow upside down to shoot it, either.I've had to cant the bow over level with the ground a few times, but upside down??

Frankly, you need to hear a lot of crap over loading an arrow on your bow at the truck and leaving it while walking around. That's extremely dangerous to yourself and anyone else you're around. Maybe if you hear enough of it, it'll finally sink in. Hopefullybefore you wind up sprawled on the ground with an arrow in your guts.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Arthur
Packing a loaded gun around all the time is dangerous allso.But if you know how to use the gun it is a difrant story.Gess I just know how to use my bow.been doing for many years never have stuck my self or any thing I did not want to.

I do however know 3 dif guys that have hade there arrows fall off there rest[or shelf] and got real nice damage from it.One of them shot for hoyt for 3 years than an arrow fell off his rest.Gess what he will never soot for hoyt agin.Now he is in no way good enough.He got allmost 200 stiches.By the way still today he tells me.[It was the 1st time the arrow EVER fell off.But I see how your arrow staying put would never be good.

You can only lean a stick bow one direction.I am sure you know this.I am allso sure you have never would have liked to lean it any difrant.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Proof of it's advantages come from the sheer numbers using it??!!?? Pardon me whilst I break out the can of BS repellent for that'n.
You're right, it's not proof, but it is evidence that many hunters like it. No matter what anyone talks you into, you can always take it off. I spend more than my share of time around the local bow shops, and I can say without doubt that far more experienced hunters have switched to the WB, than there are new hunters using it as their first rest. I see almost all of them making very favorable comments on them (there are a few exceptions, but what product doesn't have it's detractors).

As for the one advantage? I spend about 1/1000% of my hunting time, drawing back on an animal. Yes, this is a very important moment, and I like a rest that assures that the arrow won't fall off. It's not absolutely neccessary, but I prefer it. Why not use something that does what I prefer?

99.999% of my hunting time, I'm sitting, walking, standing or whatever and quite a bit of that time I have an arrow nocked. I prefer not having to hold the arrow on the rest or against the riser with my finger or having the arrow bump a branch and make noise. With the WB I have total silence and control of the arrow at all times. That's a very good thing in my book. When it actually comes time to shoot at an animal, I don't have to worry about it's accuracy (it's tuned to shoot as accurately as any other rest). I don't have to worry about wrinkled vanes, noise, frozen biscuits or any of the other so-called problems it has. I've used it in freezing rain, where everything was coated with a 1/4" of ice, yet the biscuit was still unfrozen (I didn't spray it with anything). If there was a wrinkle in a vane and it bothered me, I'd fix it before I went hunting (I use feathers when hunting, so it's not an issue).

Now, what advantage is there to a prong rest or a "flipper" rest? More accurate - hardly! More reliable - not with all those moving parts! There must be some advantage. They may not wrinkle your vane, but the vane might easily hit the rest and deflect. I'd rather have the wrinkle (which by the way doesn't affect arrow flight).

Most of us WB users, simply like the rest. We prefer using it. Many of us think it's the best hunting rest on the market and when we see someone struggling with it, we know what the possible problems are and give them some suggestions. I have no desire to convert those who don't like it. On the other hand, the inference that it's total crap and those using it are simply putting a bandaid on a problem, is off base and I don't mind saying so.

Quick Reply: Regret the Whisker Bisquit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.