Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length

Old 10-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Draw length

I am going to start bowhunting and am looking at bows. Can somebody recomend a good for a begginner that will not cost me a arm and a leg. Also how does one determine their draw length?

Marty(GHJ)
Old 10-06-2005, 09:49 AM

Default RE: Draw length

Yea i can recomend you several bows, Diamond archery is owned by Bowtech and sell nice bows for the price. AR offers nice bows that come completely setup to go hunting.PSE has nice entry level bows, But if you will spend just a lil more and get a high end bow like a Bowtech or Mathews, you will be much better off in the long run. Basically you just need to go to your local pro shop and shoot them all, see what you like....and ur draw lenght , they can determine at the pro shop.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also how does one determine their draw length?
I'd say wingspan methodis one of the best ways.

http://www.bowsales.com/draw_length.htm
Old 10-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

your pro shop has an arrow with measurements on it. He will have you draw it back a few times and get your proper draw length.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd say wingspan methodis one of the best ways.

http://www.bowsales.com/draw_length.htm

I would take a look at the PSE Nova if you are looking for a half decent beginner bow that won't break the bank.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Parker allso makes some nice package deals , that include most of what you will need to get started .
Old 10-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The wingspan method is the most reliable way to determine drawlength. It's not perfect, but most others are hit-er-miss. Using the lightweight bow at a shop will only work if the person assisting you knows and shows you where to stop drawing and anchor. That's one of the reasons about 80% of shooters draw couple inches too long.

And remember this. If you can't get a bow's drawlength to fit you then nothing about the bow matters after that.

Try reading an article about drawlength at www.huntersfriend.com
Old 10-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Goose,
I agree with everybody else... The wingspan method works pretty good. It will get you in the ball park.. Measure your wingspan then divide it by 2.5.
And as far as a good entry level bow.. Check out the Reflex Grizzley! You cannot beat this bow for under $300. I shoot it great! I have taken two deer with it this year. Don't be pressured into buying a Mattews or Bow tech for an entry level bow. Beause,sometimes it's not worth it.....
Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 PM

hey guys whats up...i was just wondering.....from lookin at that draw length site that Bobco posted.my wingspan is 65 inches and this means that my draw length is 25 inches...i have a bow right now which has a draw length of 28 to 30 inches.....would that 3 extra incheschange my accuracy?i have only shot the bow so far around my back yard without really messing around and sighting it in yet..
I Have a Bear Compound Bow Called A "Papa Bear" which i bought at walmart. it didnt come with a manual so i wouldnt know how to change the draw length...i know i read somewhere you have to change the string unto a different "yoke" on the wheel?
i have some other specs
---Made in 2001----
IBO - 290
7 inch brace height
Draw Length - 28-30
String length - 58.5
--------------------
this is about all i know...
any information about my being able to shoot this bow accurately would be helpful
or do i have to buy another bow that is good for my draw length?
Old 10-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dawg,

You can shoot the bow if you like, but the fact is you'll never get the accuracy that YOU are capable of. You probably did like a lot of guys do. You bought a bow---without knowing anything much about them or how they should fit. Well, to get the best accuracy YOU are capable of the drawlenth is the most important consideration. And don't feel you are an isolated case. Fully 80% of shooters (mostly bowhunters) shoot at least 2" too long. Some don't know any better and some don't care to change. They are well satisfied to get more speed at the expense of accuracy.

Bernie Perrilite's wingspan method was the first wingspan method to determine length. This usually leaves short draw people feel a little short. The method most compound shooters use today is, in your case, 65" divided by 2.5 This will give you a slightly longer draw. Probably closer to 26", without doing the math.
If you should somehwere down the road get a newer bow then look for something adjustable for draw. And usually, to get the best performance (speed), you should get something that has a long setting not more than 27". That way, you'll be using all or most of the cam and module, getting the most efficiency from that cam setup.

Ya ever need any help just give me a PM.

Quick Reply: Draw length

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.