Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

new arrows

Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default new arrows

I'm fairly new to the sport (started mid-season last year) and the nearest place to practice is 45 minutes away (I live in a city with ordinances, etc. and not many bow hunters (no ranges close by )). I've been practicing shooting my bow for hunting season and recently bought some new arrows (Carbon Express Terminator Hunter 4560s), which I thought were the same arrows I used last year (Carbon Express Terminator Select 4560s), except for camouflaged (I know...it just makes them harder to find if I miss, please just humor my paranoia). When I started shooting them, I noticed two things: (1) the vanes are different (further from the nock and curved differently) and (2) they consistently shot higher and to the left of my old arrows. After reading some posts on this forum and doing some research I now realize that they are also heavier (11 grains per inch versus 9.5 inches for my old arrows, which is strange since they seem to shoot higher). My question is this: Did I just waste $80 on a dozen arrows?

Here are the specs for my bow:
Darton Storm (50# to 60#, set at 58#). The draw weight isn’t a problem, but I don’t think I want to go too much more.

My arrow shafts are 26” plus nock and tip (I have short arms). I am using muzzy 100 grain three bladed fixed point broadheads. I calculated the total arrow weight at about426 grains.

I’ll be hunting whitetails. Are my arrows too heavy for my bow, etc.?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 09-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new arrows

According to selection charts, your arrows are correctly spined for your setup. Your arrow would be classified as semi-heavy to heavy for your particular draw weight and draw length. You may gain speed by switching to a lighter arrow, but you will lose KE. Good Luck.