Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Switched back to 4" vanes >

Switched back to 4" vanes

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Switched back to 4" vanes

Old 09-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Switched back to 4" vanes

Well earlier this summer I made the switch over from the 4" QuikSpins to the 2.25" version because I was having some minor clearance issues with my new QuikTune360 rest. I was very impressed with the way they shot and was convinced I would be hunting with them this fall. Then I put my broadheads on.

After a couple of shots I knew something was wrong. My arrows seemed to be fishtailing and kicking out a bit, but in no specific manner time and time again. Sometimes they would all fly okay, sometimes a few of them woud fly okay and one would hit the target at an off angle, and then sometimes they would all fly goofy.

My initial thoughts were that my bow was out of tune so I tried putting the field points on and shooting it through paper, and I was getting a very slight off tear so I adjusted my rest until I was shooting bullet holes, then went back to the broadheads. They shot a little better, but I was still getting a few off arrows every now and again that were kicking out, not hitting anywhere near where I was aiming, or just flying strange. I spin tested my arrows and everything looked good so I couldn't quite figure out what the heck the problem was.

Later that night I just had an off notion to refletch some of my arrows with the 4" QuikSpins and see what happened. So I made three of them up quick and Sunday morning went out and shot. Within 5 minutes I was dialed in and shooting awesome out to 30 yards. No strange arrow flight, no stray arrows. To say it was a huge relief considering the season starts this Saturday is an understatement. I shot for a solid hour to make sure things were good, then went home and refletched all of my arrows. Bring on October 1!

So yeah, that's my story for today. I guess the little QuikSpins just couldn't stabilize my arrow well enough w/the broadheads on. That's really the only thing I can think of. Just an FYI I'm shooting 27" ACC 3-60's with a 100 gr 2 blade Stinger.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Switched back to 4" vanes

Glad to hear you got everything sorted out.......I wouldn't want you to have any excuses
Old 09-26-2005, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Glad to hear you got everything sorted out.......I wouldn't want you to have any excuses
LOL

If you want a small vane, shoot Blazers. My fixed blade broadheads fly great out to 40 yards. I haven't shot them farther than that.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Although a little different story, my Blazers are doing "ok", but I fletched some of my arrows with 4" feathers and my broadhead flight improved enough to the point that I am hunting with the feathers. Glad you got yours sorted out.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Although a little different story, my Blazers are doing "ok", but I fletched some of my arrows with 4" feathers and my broadhead flight improved enough to the point that I am hunting with the feathers. Glad you got yours sorted out.
Coug - what broadheads are you shooting?

I know a few guys shooting some of the new smaller fixed heads like Crossfires, Nitrons, Slick Tricks, etc that are having good luck with the Blazers and little QuikSpins, but I've yet to find anyone shooting a bigger fixed blade head who can get them to fly as well as they want. And although I don't consider the Stingers to be a "big" head, they are certainly bigger than the aforementioned heads.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Justin, although I will still carry a couple of Muzzy's, I have found a new head that flies better than any fixed blade broadhead I ever shot and the blades come scary sharp.................Rocky Mountain Turbo 100 grain. 5 Shot's review caused me to purchase some. You probably already know its a small all stainless steel fixed head, similiar in size to the Nitrons.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just wish they would make a 3" version. Seems like they would be more practical than a 2.25" version.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:59 PM

HNI J., I'm havingsimilar problems with my blazers with an identical setup. My arrows are hitting the target at an angle with my slick tricks. Some arrows shoot fine while others won't come close. I'm also shooting 27" arrows. I might switch back to 4" feathers.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:20 PM

Hey. What's the whole point of those "mini" vanes anyway? Is it a weight-thing or is it simply to match the "mini" broadheads out now? I'm just being sarcastic, but I've had similar problems too. Tried the Blazers with my Montec's and things seemed "okay", but got better with the 4" Quikspins. Got even better with 4" feathers and now I'm back where I left off last season...4" feathers. I've heard it said that the shortBlazers/Quikspins are really only designed with mechanicals in mind, not fixed blades. No matter what the broadhead company wants to tell you about "flies like a fieldpoint" they usually won't with little shortiesdoing thesteering. I'dbe interested in hearing if anyoneout there has had any luck withshort vanes and fixed blades.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:00 AM

I use the Blazers and fixed blade broadheads. Granted, they are Slick Tricks and Wasp Sharpshooters. Both are 4 blade designs with a 1" cutting diameter. They fly great out to 40 yards and group with my field points. I did try some Stingers and they flew low. About 2" low at 20 yards and 4" low at 30 yards. They were dead on left-right. I can't figure it out but I'm not using them. (Please don't hijack the thread saying how great Stingers are. I'm not saying they are bad, just have to work on why they are hitting low.)

The reason I use Blazers is because they are tougher than regular vanes, I don't have to worry about weather and they give me more clearance with my drop-away rest.

Quick Reply: Switched back to 4" vanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.