HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   punching release (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/114006-punching-release.html)

LeeinVa1 09-23-2005 05:10 PM

punching release

I took the bow out today to get warmed up, first time i used it since last year and i know my arms are weak right now. had no problem with drawing it back, but i kept punching the release and the bow was dropping to the left. Anyone have an exercise that will take care of that. i know i will improve over the next few weeks, but i always seem to have that problem. thanks

PatriotDually 09-23-2005 09:00 PM

RE: punching release

Hey Lee
Most people think you should draw the bow with your arms.Not sure what u do so i'll just go thru it. Make sure you point your bow at your target with your bow arm slightly bent and your bow hand slightly facing down. Also ive noticed alot of people dont know, turn your left hand facing up (if your right handed) anything right of your life line is "no man land" never let anything right of your life line touch the bow grip, this causes inconsistencies in the amount of pressure put on the grip and will cause inconsistent grouping. Now with all that said, back to your problem. When you draw your bow, concentrate on squeezing your back muscles together to draw it smoothly, dont jerk it back , if you have to jerk it or aim up or down to get it drawn your pulling to many pounds and or your draw length is to long. Now concentrate on keeping those back muscles squeezed and stand tall, dont lean your head forward or backward, and keep your right elbow pulling straight back, dont "chicken wing it".Ok now we have you squeezing your back , left arm relaxed, right elbow going straight back, now put pressure on your release and concentrate on your target and just keep squeezing. Your shot should go off almost without realizing it. Practice that and you will be shooting Darts in no time ;)

s. il. hntr 09-23-2005 09:05 PM

dont wait this long to practice

hoyt3 09-24-2005 11:37 AM

I agree, don't wait so long to practice. the nice thing about practicing near year round, is that if I do develop a problem, or get a new piece of equipment, I have all year to fix it or break it in. What I do in a situation such as yours is force myself to relax and follow the arrow all the way to the target before moving. helps on follow through as well.

LeeinVa1 09-24-2005 01:18 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. i am going to get back out there again today and try again. neck and back muscles are a little sore from the shooting yesterday but that will go away in a few days. I have been shooting a bow for over 40 years now, so my basics are pretty good and it does not take me long to get back in the bull. I do appreciate the comments and suggestions tho. thanks again.

LeeinVa1 09-25-2005 03:45 PM

Ok, i think i got it figured out now, first nine shots today at 20 yards were like this. :)

Bees 09-26-2005 07:43 AM

looks like your punching good right there. :)

KickerPoint79 09-26-2005 08:15 PM

Looks like you got it under control. Good shooting.

kevin1 09-27-2005 07:28 AM

Your right arm is obviously more developed than your left arm , either switch up occasionally or just stay out of the bathroom altogether for a day or two after the new Playboy arrives ... ;)