HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   I'm lost....need help! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/113874-im-lost-need-help.html)

MIHunter02 09-22-2005 07:04 PM

I'm lost....need help!

OKay, I bought a PL-1 from Cabela's. It shoots great, low vibration, forgiving, etc. My problem is all of the guys that work there suck. I had a new string loop put on and the moved everything around for whatever reason so I was not even coming close to hitting the target when I got home. My problem now is that I had to bootom out my Copper John sights gang adj. and my 40 yard pin is at the lowest spot possible whch hampers my view. Can I adjust something so I can get my pins back in the middle of my sight so I can see my target? (Yes, I can see how ths could be a dumb question, but I am new to archery so bear with me!)

brad patriot 09-22-2005 07:24 PM

RE: I'm lost....need help!

I don't know if you have any expirience in setting up a bow or not sounds like you would just have a shop do it.i can tell you one thing there are alot of shops and in perticular the bigger stores like cabelas that don't really have an idea what there doing they are there just to sell you the bow!!! any ways I know this is a single cam here it goes start by turning both limbs in all the way till they both stop the back them off equal turns.count how many turns you turned them in so you get your poundage back to where it is.this will set your tiller even.next set the bow on your leg and look down the string.your string should be in line with your arrow.after that make the center of your arrow is in the middle of the hole where your rest is bolted on too.then you can check your nock points or if you use a loop checck that.they should be square with your arrow.this isa good start point.if you don't have a square go and get one.I use one that you screw your arrow on too then it clips on the string don't get a T squre they are not easy to use.they make alot of different kinds.if you havea square and a set of allen wrenchs you can set your bow up your self then you know its right.if you got a manual with the bow it should show you how to set it up too.this the way that I do it and it works very good.9 times out of 10 I can shoot parfect holes through paper when I;m done.another good thing you could do is download the tech bulliten off from www.eastonarchery.com remember your bow is not a dual cam bow its a single. also I don't know what you are using for anchor a peep sight or a kisser button if they moved either of these its going to throw your sights off alot.the lower you anchor your release the higher your pins are going to be.and vise versa.

AR34 09-22-2005 07:49 PM

As far as your sight pins being fully extended/bottomed out, the one thing you can adjust is your peep, if you shoot one (and you should). Move the peepUP the string towards the idler wheel and you'll be able to bring your pin assembly up. However, the first priority is YOU and your COMFORT in anchoring. You should be able to anchor and look directly through your peep withoutstraining. Make the bow fit YOU, not the other way around. Do this; invite an archery buddy over and grab your bow. Close your eyes and drawyour bow, anchoring in the most natural and comfortable place on your face. Have your buddy mark two places on the drawn bowstring; where your (closed)eyemeets the string and also where the corner of your mouth meets it. Then install and/or moveeither of those to those marked pointsand you'reon your way to a soild anchor point. If this fails to aliveate the sight-pin-picture-ordeal, you'll just have to deal with it. 40 yards is a long ways anyway, at least if you're just starting out. Hope I've helped.

ranchand99 09-22-2005 07:54 PM

Since they put the loop on first check and make sure your nock point is right.Then do what AR34 said.If that doesn't work let us know.I have some other suggestions.

Trushot_archer 09-23-2005 07:02 PM

Hey Jason....I'm going to give you the advice I wish someone would have given me when I started out.

Take the entire bow back to Cabela's. They'll take it and refund your money. Drive back down M50 toward your house, Turn left on Telegraph and Right on Stewart. Left on Dixie Hwy...just past Nepwort road on the left is COOK"S SPORTLAND.

Tell them you needto get setup.

Cabela's is great for things you can't get anywhere else but you really, honsestly need a PRO SHOP to give you solid advice on equipment, shooting form and tech info. Cook's will do that and you'll probably save maney to boot.

hoyt3 09-24-2005 11:39 AM

I'd start with the nock point. that can have a huge impact on nearly everything.

TerryM 09-24-2005 12:34 PM

I'd start with the nock point. that can have a huge impact on nearly everything.

I agree. It sounds like they moved your nocking point. Prretty simple fix, don't despair.

R hood 09-25-2005 03:33 PM

MI hunter I’m afraid that people who buy from Cabala’s are not going to get much help from their so called “PRO STAFF” and the reason is they just don’t pay enough to be able to hire anyone that has any knowledge!

I just got through a long interview process with them and I the end they offered me 10 dollars a hour! I have 20 some years working on bows and firearms and for them to make this kind of offer is ridiculous. They have a bunch of young kids and they are getting their education with ‘YOUR “bow!

Take the advice given to take it back and then go find a good pro shop; the extra money you spend will save you a lot of headaches and quite possibly the difference between a beautiful photo of a trophy buck or a sad horror story of a lost and wounded animal.

arrow1b 09-25-2005 08:22 PM

If your arrow runs below the bolt hole for the rest this can happen. the bottom of the arrow should run even or slightly above the bottom of the hole.