HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Having trouble grouping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/112185-having-trouble-grouping.html)

lte_622 09-09-2005 04:24 PM

Having trouble grouping

im having a lot of problems grouping my arrows lately i cant group arrows if my life depended on it. Im trying to finalize my sighting in of my bow but i cant make any adjust ment because im pretty much hitting everywhere but the target[:@]

needabow 09-09-2005 04:50 PM

RE: Having trouble grouping

Try walkback tuning. Search the form for a better explanation, but it goes something like so:

1) Setup your nocking point 1/8 - 1/4" high
2) Setup your rest by eyeball - try to get the arrow square on the string

Now, head to the range, and at 10 yards shoot 3 arrows. Move the sight as necessary. Repeat until you get a nice group. Move back to 20 and shoot 3 more, then 30 yards (ALL using the same PIN).

If your arrows trail off to one side, move the rest in the opposite direction in SMALL INCREMENTS.

Now, if you had to adjust your rest, go BACK to 10 yards, and repeat your sight-in by moving your sights only.

Repeat the 20 and 30 yard test as before. If needed, move the rest to fine-tune and repeat.

By now, you should have repeatable groups that are in a straight line down the target as you move back. You can now try moving back to 40-60 yards and repeating the test, making any fine adjustments to the rest as needed. Now you should have great arrow flight and the rest is up to your form and ability to hold steady. A moderate weight (8-12oz) stabilizer 6-10" long may greatly help with this. If you are still unable to hold steady and shoot groups at 30-40 yards, have a pro shop check your draw length and form (you actually should have done this from the start) to rule out any problems there.

hawg man 09-09-2005 09:10 PM

are you shoot with fingers?

lte_622 09-09-2005 09:53 PM

no release why???

dangolbowhunter 09-09-2005 10:59 PM

Have you tried the Easton Tuning Guide? I had a similar problem, and through using their guide I found that my arrow's spine was too strong. I increased from 100gr to 125gr tips and haven't had a problem since. Good Luck

Mattiac 09-10-2005 06:15 AM

Not to be blunt, but its one of two things; You or the bow.

Were you shooting well before, or have you always had some trouble grouping?

Tuning does help your bow group better by being more forgiving, but you could put a totally out of tune bow in a shooting machine and shoot the same hole all day long. Not to say its definitely you, but if you are ALL over the place, its probably not just the bow.

Perhaps you can post a picture of your form, and we can see if anything is blatantly wrong.

Also, let us know your setup; Bow make and model, draw length and weight, arrow type, spine and length, rest, etc...

Perhaps you changed something on your bow recently as well...???

Many things could be causing what you are experiencing, so you will have to elaborate. Hopefully we can help you, but if not, your best bet would be to visit a pro-shop.

Best of luck to you, hope you can get it figured out.

Arthur P 09-10-2005 07:14 AM

I'd add another to Mattiac's list of possibilities. The arrows. Are you using fresh, good quality arrows or old beaters you've been thrashing around for the past 5 seasons?

JeramyK 09-10-2005 08:13 AM

I've had times when it's been a mental issue. For whatever reason my groups would go from consistant to crappy. I've learned to put the bow away for a couple days and take a break from shooting. Seems like that helps me alot and when I pick the bow back up I'm back to my normal shooting.