Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Wrist Sling Question >

Wrist Sling Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wrist Sling Question

Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 PM

Default RE: Wrist Sling Question

Matt:

I used to wear a wrist sling religiously, as do many who I know and who come into my shop. Many times I'll reach for a customer's bow to change something and almost take their hand off because they've got the wrist sling on their hand. Many can't grab a bow without putting their hand in the wrist sling.

A loooonnnnggg time ago I used to walk through the woods of the Eastern Shore of Maryland with a wrist sling on my bow. There is a LOT of undergrowth in this area. The first time I tripped, with a wrist strap attached, Isprained my wrist. The second time I tripped I almost impaled myself on my bow. Those are two good reasons why they can be dangerous.

Many will tell me that they don't put their wrist/hand into the sling when they walk through the woods. I know better. It may not be all, but I'm sure it will be a darn good percentage that do.

The other problem is the impact it can have on shooting out of a tree. When shooting with an open hand and out of a treestand, there is sometimes a tendency, even though the hunter knows he/she has a wrist sling on, to GRAB the bow. In doing this, the shot is affected in various ways. Many will not do it when practicing on the ground, but the height will sometimes prompt a reflex at the worst time.

Definition of COF: Crotchety Old Fart. One whohas worked 7 days a week for the past 2 months with an average of 10 hours a day. Took a day off lastMonday, Labor Day, and will work for the next two months 7 days a week for an average of 10 hours aday. The longest days are up to18 hours and the shortest days are about 8 hours.

Thanks for your understanding and have a great season.

Old 09-10-2005, 06:07 AM

COF---Crochety Old Fart! Now thats funny. Sorry to hear you work so much, but it was the busy season. You probably get a lot of guys coming in wondering why they cant shoot, right? Could be because they havent touched the bow since last year, but Nah.....must be the bow. Sad isnt it. I shoot year round, and took a page from your book and recently taught myself how to shoot lefty as well as my usual righty. Really helps when working on a lefty bow.

I can see how your method of grip would work on very narrow grips too. But I have small hands, and I would have to "choke" a pretty narrow grip even, so I will have to stick with a sling. I dont wear it when Im walking through the woods. I usually carry my bow on my shoulder by the riser.Except for when Im stillhunting. But then Im usuallygoing so slow that it would be very hard to trip (I hope). That is a good point though.

Well, take care and have a good one---Matt

Good luck to all this season as well!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the most important points in accuracy shooting with a bow is the bow arm and the grip. They should name the grip the handle. When new hunters hear the word grip, that’s what they do, grip the bow. Consistency and repetition are two basic tools in form that will greatly improve your abilities and accuracy. You do not grip the handle you apply pressure with a relaxed hand the same each shot. If you do not have a wrist strap or finger sling the bow should drop out of your hand when the arrow is released. When you grip or grab the handle on release your hand will apply torque and result in left or right impact on the target. The hole in the riser where the cushion plunger or rest is attached is the centerline of the bow. With an overdraw attached the centerline of the bow is moved to the rear resulting in even more fluctuation in arrow flight if the bow is gripped. A wrist strap or finger sling will definitely improve your grouping if your use it, not just hang it on the bow.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys I tried the sling but I didn't like they way it felt. When shooting I have never had the bow jump out of my hand yet. I am gonna just try to be more consisant with my grip hand. I think that it may cause my inaccuracy now and then.