Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Wrist Sling Question >

Wrist Sling Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wrist Sling Question

Old 09-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wrist Sling Question

Idon't use one but I was wondering what the advantages are if any. I know tons of people use them. If you were in a tree and had to drop ur bow to steady yourself would you be able to(last resort).
Old 09-07-2005, 07:45 PM

Default RE: Wrist Sling Question

One advantage is a wrist sling allows a torque free grip. I think I would rather take a broken leg and save my bow, than to drop my bow 25 ft out of a tree. Just wear a safety harness and you won't have to do either.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 PM

Once you learn to shoot a bow with the proper bow-hand "grip" you wont be able to shoot without some sort of sling.(finger or wrist)

I drop every bow I shoot, that doesnt have a sling. They just hop out ofmy hand. Unless you grip the bow, or catch it (which are both improper) you should have a sling...They are cheap too. Why not have one?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:42 AM

Quote: "Once you learn to shoot a bow with the proper bow-hand "grip" you wont be able to shoot without some sort of sling.(finger or wrist)"

Sorry, but this is an incorrect statement. With the advent of thinner grips, it is not only possible but advisable to use a forefinger thumb style grip that is much better for hunting. This eliminates the need/desire for a wrist sling. You do, of course, have to maintain the right 'position' of the hand/thumbpad on the grip to maintain torque-free shooting.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:06 AM

LEN, IS IT NECESSARY TO MAKE IT THAT BIG?
Geez Len, Im not blind, and theres no need to emphasize your point with GIANT RED LETTERSjust because Idont really agree with what you're saying. Any grip on the bow is not a good idea IMO. If you can learn to grip the bow, thats fine. I dont recommend it though. I feel a totally relaxed bow hand is a much better way to shoot a bow. (Hunting or target) This is best accomplished with a sling. (I cant think of any other way to relax your grip and not have the bow come out of your hand)

A wrist sling doesnt interfere with anything, and just gives you the confidence to "forget about your hand"! In other words, its one less thing to think about....you dont have to think about the bow possibly getting away from you upon release. The sling is there to catch it. For many shooters, worrying about gripping the bow is one too many things. You should simply be "aiming"......not worrying aboutholding onto your$1000 bow so it doesnt go earthward bound!

Of course, this is just my opinion, and you dont have to agree with it.

Have a good one---Matt
Old 09-08-2005, 09:58 AM

Len taught me how to hold a bow without a sling, but with the thumb & forefinger touching and if done properly, you can get a torque free grip this way. It is a secure way to hold your bow. Once it becomes habit, you don't have to worry about it any more than you would with a sling.

However, since I now do more target shooting than hunting, I've found that a sling and a very relaxed hand is slightly morerepeatable for me. I also have a Scepter II target bowwhich hasa lot of recoil and the BriteSiterest hits my hand painflully if I don't usea sling. I also drop bows without slings unless I make touching finger and thumb a conscious part of my shot sequence.

In my experience, either technique will work well if you are doing it right and if you practice enough.

Hope this helps,
Allen

Old 09-08-2005, 07:02 PM

Iprefer the wrist sling as well due to the wayI keep my hand open to hold the bow, ifI didn't have a sling the bow would fall out of my hand.I have also found to be more consistent with shooting ifI hold the bow that way just my .02.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

IMO slings help people who have it in their head they will drop the bow,or are not very co-ordinated.Slings can interfere with your accuracy...if it is too tight.Ideally they should be loose enough that you barely feel it.I have shot with,and without,and do better without.I hold my hand like I'm making an O.K. hand signal.Like AllenRead said.Once I shoot I instinctively close my hand,the arrow is long gone.It is possible to have a proper grip without a sling,but I do see where it can have it's advantages.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:37 PM

Mattiac:

Since you seem to have had a little trouble in reading my post, maybe I should have made it larger. The color was just a random selection. Since the red alarmed you, I'll try to select a color this time that is less offensive to you.

Quote: "Once you learn to shoot a bow with the proper bow-hand "grip" you wont be able to shoot without some sort of sling.(finger or wrist)"

You didn't specify what would bea 'good'grip. I detailed a 'grip'that, IMPO, is better for hunting. When I teach this'grip', I also explain why it isbetterfor hunting and why an open hand is lessdesirable for hunting. Many tournament shooters have developed the open hand technique for specific reasons. I also explain those reasons in detail and how they don't relateto most hunting senarios.

Quote: "I drop every bow I shoot, that doesnt have a sling. They just hop out ofmy hand."

And this is just one of thereasons why an open hand shouldn't be used for hunting; and , there are others.

Quote: "Unless you grip the bow, or catch it (which are both improper) you should have a sling..."

I disagree with every part of this statement. And that's where we'll have to totally disagree.

Quote: "They are cheap too. Why not have one?"

Mainly because they can be dangerous and misleading when walking through the woods and/or shooting from a stand.

There, I've read your original post again and detailed how/why we disagree. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I just can't understand the justification of something that can be dangerous in the woods and misleading in it's application.

BTW, I have an ongoing conflict with the manufacturers of slings. And, as far as the size of my print, I'm a COF with failing eyesight.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:19 PM

Ok Len.

I respect your knowledge of Archery as I do ArthurP's, you guys know your stuff. No doubt. I believe I know a good bit too...but I know Im still younger and have less years behind my knowledge (still learning). Sometimes I come across as veryopinionated, but Im really not. My keyboard is!

Just one question. How is a sling dangerous? I cant for the life of me figure that one out. If you trip? Fall from the stand?

Didnt realize the color and size thing were your usual thing either....thought you were emphasizing our difference of opinion. Sorry. Whats a COF though? I know what failing eyesight is....I have that as well.

Have a good one----Matt

Quick Reply: Wrist Sling Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.