Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 brass nock or not? >

brass nock or not?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

brass nock or not?

Old 08-31-2005, 12:14 PM

Default brass nock or not?

As shown on one of my previouis posts I sent some pics of my form. My DL is 26inches but my bow only drops down to 27 inches. I have a loop string currently on there and some people have recommend taking it off and just putting on a brass nock. I am kinda leary about this becasueI've heard alot of you guys say that a brass nock alone can really mess up your accuracy. I've also heard someone say to put a brass nock on top and a "cushion plunger" on bottom and hook my releasebelow the plunger. I'm not sure what a cushion plunger is but I was wondering ifI did decide to take the string loop off what is the best setup I could use for the best accuracy without using the string loop? Thanks
Old 08-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: brass nock or not?

I shot a brass nockset/eliminator (cushion) button combo for years and I was able to get very good accuracy out of those setups. The string loop that everyone has gone to as of late is a relative newcomer to the archery scene. Many people were shooting very good scores and quite a few deer very accurately long before the loop came along.

If the brass nockset upsets you though then just have someone tie on a nockset with some serving thread instead......does the same thing as a brass nockset with less weight and less possible damage to your nock.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a short draw length too. I use a brass nock/eliminator button combo. I think its pretty accurate. I'd rather shoot straight off the string than have to increase my draw length to accomodate a loop. I know I can adjust the bow (maybe have to get a new module) to compensate, but i don't think its worth thte trouble.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:07 PM

What kind of bow do you shoot? If you can get a module to change your DL, you won't have to take off your loop. If I was you I would go this route. It may be more expensive but the advantages of the loop outweigh the extra cost IMO.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:41 PM

I'm shooting a Tomkat.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:09 PM

This is the first year Ive heard of the string loop.I have been shooting a cusion under the nock and brass above for ever. I bought a new bow and it has a loop on it. Before my DL was 28 and 7 twist in the string and now it went to 27 with the loop.I tied a short loop on the string and put my release on the shortest spot and i moved the DL to 27 1/2 now. I never had any trouble with the brass and cusion and I am thinking of going back so I can go back to28DL. I reserve my string when it needs it. Its not at all hard to do.Dont worry about the serving as long as you get the bow to fit you. You will be better off. Like one of the guys said, We shoot that way for years (23) for me. I hope this has been of some help.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most archers at one time or another shot straight off the string. It wasn't a bad thing to do so either, a lot still do. There are some benfits to a string loop, but that doesn't mean shooting off the string lack any of it's own.
For one you get a better hook up in the dark, not fumbling around hoping to hook your loop. The other is your draw length which is why your considering it.
I would go with the eliminator button underneath if you do go loopless. The weights of the swap should cancell each other out.
Now That I'm shooting with a No-peep I could easily dump my loop if I wanted another 1/2 of draw, but my cam gets a little touchy towards 30" soI will leave well enough alone.

Now I just need to getsome no-peep's for my other bows. Once you get used to shooting with one a peep just get's in the way.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Loops dont change your draw length. Your draw length stays the same no matter how long the loop is, what changes is where you use your hand to anchor on your head/face.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:38 AM

Loops dont change your draw length. Your draw length stays the same no matter how long the loop is, what changes is where you use your hand to anchor on your head/face.
But in effect, loops will shorten your drawlength because when you add the loop you have to decrease your DL to keep your anchor point the same.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mo Bow, yes but you can adjust your anchor by shortening the release. You don't change the bow. Another trick is to keep the loop as short as possible. If your release doesn't hit the nock when hooked up then it's long enough.

Quick Reply: brass nock or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.