HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Allegiance Speeds (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/110726-allegiance-speeds.html)

Justin 08-28-2005 08:15 PM

Allegiance Speeds

Well folks, I finally got my Allegiance through a chrono this weekend. 28" draw, 27" Easton a/c/c 3-60's with 2.25" QuikSpins and a 100 grain tip went 263 fps @ ~64 lbs. Cranked it down to the 68-69 lb range and managed to get it up to 285 fps. Shot through our 3-D course with that weight, but after 40+ shots it was getting a bit heavy so I backed it down to about 66 lbs. It feels great, but I'm hoping to get back up to 70lbs-ish by hunting season. We'll see how things go.

Overall I couldn't be happier with my setup. It's shooting great and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of damage I can inflict on the IL deer population this fall.

walks with a gimp 08-28-2005 09:15 PM

RE: Allegiance Speeds

You don't need more draw weight for deer. Set the weight to where it's comfortable for you and relax, concentrate on shooting good and you'll still have your venison this winter. I'm only shooting my Allegiance on 60 pounds and it's more than enough for the larger deer species;) Good luck!

Justin 08-28-2005 09:21 PM

I know what you're saying, but I've been shooting 70 lbs all season until I switched over from a caliper-style wrist strap release to the Copper John Eagle 3 finger release. With so much of the pressure being placed on my index and ring fingers while drawing my hand starts to get a little tired after a number of shots at the higher draw weight which is why I initially backed the weight down to begin with. Optimally I'd like to get back up to the 70 lb range, but where I feel the most comfortable is where I'll end up hunting. I killed my first deer shooting a touch over 40 lbs out of an old Golden Eagle Predator with round wheels and got 2 complete pass throughs on deer that year so needless to say I'm not worried about penetration with my current setup. As I said - I really couldn't be happier with it. If I screw up any shots this year I certainly can't hold my equipment at fault.

Matt / PA 08-28-2005 09:45 PM

Justin,
I know what you mean about the percieved draw weight with the Copper John Eagle vs. a wrist strap caliper........I shot a 3D all day with my Allegiance and the 4 finger Eagle (I don't use the strap to draw) and then tonight I was trying my Scott Rhino wrist strap and the bow feels like it's 10# lighter vs drawing with my hand.

Here's my set-up and what it's doing.
30" / 60# Allegiance
28.5" A/C/C 3-60 w/ 3" r. helical feathers and short wraps (400gr even with 100gr heads)
2 SIMS crossbow leeches
Tru-Peep1/4" (Thenew whopper sized one)
String Loop
2 tied in nock sets

Speed = 279fps
KE = 69ft lbs.

And it is REALLY quiet at 60# and 400gr finished arrow weight.[:-]
No need to be drawing 70# here, this thing is going to be a slice and dice machine.

walks with a gimp 08-28-2005 09:45 PM

I've got the same release and I pull mostly with the wrist strap, I don't feel like my fingers get tired at all. I like playing with the Copper John Eagle and a cheap Tru Fire thumb triger release but the index finger wrist strap is my favorite for hunting. I just ordered a Carter Quickie and can hardly wait to try it out!

Justin 08-28-2005 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

I've got the same release and I pull mostly with the wrist strap.
For some reason I thought I heard that you weren't supposed to rely on the wrist strap while drawing? Am I wrong on this?

It took me some time to get used to this release, but I really like it. My previous problems with punching the trigger are virtually none existant and I seem to be able to hold a lot steadier on the target. My only real worry is how well I'm going to shoot with hunting gloves on, and how well I'm going to anchor with a facemask on. Within the next week I plan on diggin out some gear to shoot in and putting on some broadheads as well. Just over a month until the opener here and I want to make sure I'm dialed in 100%.

and Matt - you're absolutely right about the slicing and dicing machine. I have a feeling there are going to be a few Stingers zipping through a couple IL deer this fall, courtesy of this new setup. I also forgot to mention I've got a set of Sims Ultra Limbsavers, a ginormous peep sight w/rubber tube (I hate that thing - it needs to go bye bye), 2 tied in nocks, and a fairly large string loop as well.

Matt / PA 08-28-2005 10:09 PM

Justin,
Copper John recommends drawing the Eagle with the Wrist strap........I personally hate that and feel it's the wrong way to use the release.

If you draw with the strap it's hard to get your hand in the correct position and transfer the tension of the strap to your hand and fingers to fire the release properly using back tension.
If the bulk of the weight remains on the strap that frees your finger up too much to punch the release entirely.

If you draw with your hand you have the correct hand position right from the get go and to fire the release all you need to do is relax the other fingers slightly and allow your middle finger to assume the tension as you pull through the shot.........pow, good back tension and a smooth surprise release.

I'd personally even hunt with mine without the strap if I trusted myself not to punt it out of my treestand. For me the strap is simply so I won't drop it.:eek:;)

Techy 09-08-2005 12:53 PM

Mine is around 290fps

29" draw
370 gr arrow
64#'s

JoshKeller 09-08-2005 01:38 PM

Hey Matt.... with that copper john... you can invert your hand to anchor with your knuckles at the back of your jaw bone right? I may pick one up for hunting since I'm so used to this TRU Ball Ultra 4.

Matt / PA 09-08-2005 01:58 PM

Josh,
Exactly the same anchor.......well maybe not EXACT if the finger groove to head length is different but the STYLE of anchor is the same.