Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I Really Need Help Please! >

I Really Need Help Please!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I Really Need Help Please!

Old 08-27-2005, 06:15 AM

Default I Really Need Help Please!

I am pulling out my friggen hair. I cannot get my switchback tuned properly. Im not very experienced with tuning,I never had a problem with any of my other bows. This bow shot perfect with Field points, but then with Broadheads it was low and right. I tried paper tuning it, but I still get terrible arrow flight, something doesn't seem right.
I reset my rest so the arrow was perfectly square, and it was lined up when you looked from behind the string and lined up the string, sight and arrow. When I paper tune my tip is hitting low and to the right, and the same thing when I shoot broadheads, and then arrow flies bad.

I don't know what to adjust anymore
Old 08-27-2005, 07:18 AM

Default RE: I Really Need Help Please!

Go to easton archery and download the tuning guide. I would start all over. Make sure you have the correct spine arrows for your setup.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

I would say its a arrow spin issue.keep every thing set up as normal.try backing off your poundage or increasing your poundage by a half of turn.also remember when you change your poundage it will throw your nock point off a liitle,just make sure its square after you adjust the poundage.also check make sure your timing is good.new string and cables do stretch a little when they are new.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:23 AM

I just had it in and they checked the timing and all that, and it was fine.

Im shooting Easton CX300 Hunters, They are rated correctly for this bow, and everyone I know is shooting the CX300's, so I don't know why I would have a problem with it.

I am going to try starting over again I guess, and then if I get the same results, I will back off the poundage.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a consideration-----try moving your nock up a little----like 1/16 of an inch at a time.Also try moving your centershot to thje left a bit as well----not much though.See if that helps at all-----------GOOD LUCK
Old 08-27-2005, 09:41 AM

Here are a few suggestions. You say your broad heads do not group with your field tips. That is pretty common actually, but you can tune for it in most cases. The question is do they group well?

There are many things that can affect where your broad heads hit in relationship to your field points. Spine, rest setting and form to name a few. Just because you get a bullet hole thru paper does not mean your bow is perfectly tuned. Heck, some would argue that gettting your broad heads to impact with your field points is not a perfrect tune.

Download the tuning guide and look at the broad head tuning section. It does a pretty good job of explaining it.

If worst comes to worst and you can't get them to come together, but they still fly and group well, just move your sights the slight amount that you have to. The key thing is that they fly straight and group out to the distance you want them to. It is not as convenient, but it is just as lethal.

If they just don't group well then I would look at the arrows or your form. It is bit harder to shoot fixed blades well. Good FOC and plenty of fletch can't hurt either

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-27-2005, 11:04 AM

I can tell from my own experience I had a hard time getting cx300's to fly right for me no matter whatI tried. I made sure I used the chart to use the right ones for my length & poundage but they kept flying like the spine was to weak. They are the only arrows I have ever had a problem with. My friends shoot them and they fly great and they seem like a great arrow but I could not get them to work for me at all.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:15 AM

Try moving your arrow rest the direction you want your broadheads to go,, to group with your field points. Go with very small movements and don't move your sight pins until your B heads and field points group together.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

First off most of the time broadheads will fly different.Mechanical heads will fly more like field tips.The bigger cutting diameter you have the more it will windplane.You say you paper tuned it.I'm thinking...Broadheads are the problem.What head are you using(brand,size)?By the way what size fletchings do you have?What rest are you using?I generally practice with field tips,and then do my final adjustments with my broadheads.I have shot thunderheads,and Rm titanium 100's,and Game tracker..Neither flew exaxctly like a field tip.Alot of my friends have your problem with their muzzy's too.The Ti's did fly within 2" of the field tips.The thunderheads were about 5" left,and low.I just moved my sight,and everything was fine.Usually the smaller cutting diameter heads fly better.Such as the 1 1/8" of the ti's vs the 1 3/16" of the thunderheads.,The faster your bow is the more that a broadhead's cutting diameter will affect flight.Those same thunderheads were perfect at sub 260fps,but at 270-290 flew irratic.So,I went to the Ti's,and have been very pleased.They have a self aligning collar,and it doubles as an adapter ring for carbons.The shortcut is to go with a mech. head assuming you are making enough KE.Let me know the things I asked,and I'll do my best to help you.
Incase you want to check the Ti's out here's that link.
http://www.rockymtbroadheads.com/97titanium100.html
Old 08-29-2005, 07:32 AM

Ok guys, I spent several hours on it yesterday, and thought maybe I had it, but not!I probobly would have shot myself with my bow if it was possible!

I read through the Easton tuning guide, and started right at the beginning. Set my rest to the right height with a square, centered it left & right, using the method they described. (I noticed it works slightly diferent with single cams) and then I did a Bare shaft test. The 3 fletched arrows grouped tight, and then my 2 bare shaft arrows hit right in the same spot as the fletched arrows, just a little cocked. This appeared to be a good thing. Then I paper tuned it, made a slight adjustment, and ended up with a perfect bullet-hole. I shot at 20 yards with the field points, adjusted my sight, and they were hitting right on. I was nailing them tight in the center of the bullseye. The only thing that seemed weird was that my site was maxed out to the right, but not to the point where it looked odd. After shooting 3 arrows in a 1" group at 20 yards, I pulled out 3 broadheaded arrows, perfectly spin balanced, and shot them. Well wouldn't you friggen know it, they were shooting all over. I probobly shot about 12 shots with the broadheads, and they rarely hit the targeted spot. It would have been tough to keep them in a pie plate. Arrow flight is terrible with the broadheads.

So what the hell is going on?

I am shooting 27" Easton CX 300 Hunter's. When at full draw, the broadhead is about 1/2" in front of my rest. My ready-to-shoot arrow weight is just under 400 grains.
I have an NAP quicktune 2000RG arrow rest.
Ijust refleched my arrows because I thought maybe that was the problem. I am shooting (3) 2"blazerswith a right helical.
I am shootingMuzzy, 3 blade, 100gr broadheads. As I stated, they were all spin-tested perfect before I shot them.

These are the exact same arrows and broadheads that I used with my old bow last year, and they flew perfect. My dad was shooting hismuzzy's right next to me last night, and he was hittingbullseye every time.

HELP ME!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.