Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Ok please help with my form (pics included) >

Ok please help with my form (pics included)

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ok please help with my form (pics included)

Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Ok please help with my form (pics included)

Ok please be honest and give me all the tips you can, I've only been shooting for less than a year so I need all the advice I can get.I showed the pic up close to show my anchor points. I tried putting my thumb behind my neck but it was to uncomfortable becasue my hands are small, so I placemy thumbright behind that muscle (sternocleidomastoid muscle if I'm not mistaken). So as I said any advice would be helpful. My wing span measures my DL to be a little over 26 inches. My bow only drops to 27 inches which is what it is on in the pic. I know I have a string loop on but I guess I've gotten used to it. Again any helpful comments are welcome. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ok please help with my form (pics included)

Hi there, looks to me that your draw length is about a half inch too long. The string should touch the tip of your nose.Your release hand needs to be relaxed using that type of release. The most imortant things in archery are proper draw length, anchor point, and proper follow through. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

Yeap I will agree, your draw lenght looks to long.....

On your anchor point here is some advice that was givin to me by a PSE PRO staff shooter...

You should always have three anchor points of reference for a perfect anchor every time..Knuckle of hand firmly in the rear of your jaw bone, index finger slightly touching the corner of your mouth, and your string slightly touching your nose... it works....
Old 08-26-2005, 08:16 AM

As a general rule....if you can taste your fletching...you may be a bit too long in the draw

Unlock the Right elbow and put just a SLIGHT bend. This is actually a "stronger" position and more easily repeated for MOST people. This will keep your right arm from rolling the way it is in the picture.

Bow grip looks a little forced. When your get the bow arm in the proper position....the grip can be more easily attained and will feel more comfortable. Your somehwere in the "Medium wrist grip" gry area now...try to switch to low.

Here's a link that may help....pics and stuff toohttp://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/grip/index.htm

Hold your right arm out as if your gripping an invisible bow. Look at the line that would intersect right down the middle of you forearm/wrist area...just to the right of your upward facing thumb and slightly off-center of the web of your hand....think SOLID bone on bone structure here. Try to forget completey about your hand and don't use it at all....try to get it so the bow is balanced on your wrist if you had no hand at all...

On another note...
The cable from your drop looks a little tight too...see how it pulls your cable forward a little bit? To much pressure on there for my liking...it'll wear fast with that much pressure and undoubtedly fail at the most inoppurtune time

Old 08-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

You asked for it. Here it comes.

First what is your wingspan? We may be nearly the same.

Your form isn't really all that bad.It appears that your drawlength is too long, butworking within the parameters of your bow I'd make a couple suggestions. Lower your anchor point so that the string touches your nose at full draw. This should put the string near the corner of your mouth. This'll give you a couple of reference points for a consistent anchor. Of course you'll have to raise your peep accordingly. Don't know what the peep height is now but around 5 1/2" to 6" above nocking point is what we're looking for.

Your draw arm looks slightly locked. You can shoot a straight arm, but unlock the elbow. Maybe a little too much heel in the bowhand. Turn the hand out a little more. Hand does seem relaxed---good.

Now one thing you can do easily. Shorten the release till the trigger is at the second joint of the trigger finger at full draw. Right now it looks like it ends up near the fingertip or close. Shorten it up so you can squeeze off your shots.

Once this is done then post some more pics so I can tell more about the drawlength. It does appear long by about an inch. But you ain't gonna buy another bow at this point, are you?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 AM

No, at this point I'm not gonna buy another bow. but thank you all for your comments. By the way my wingspan is 65.5inches
Old 08-26-2005, 08:52 AM

Like BG said, I don't think you are going to buy another bow before this season so your form doesn't look all that bad for an inch too long of a draw. I would agree with shortening up the release length and also adjusting your rest cord. Other than that, I would say save up for another bow that will adjust to your proper draw length. And one more thing, cover the pit hair next time you take some pics!
Old 08-26-2005, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the advice, and I do apologize to everyone about the pit hair. I had been shooting out in the heat before taking those pics. Guess the humidity messed up my thinking. Sorry again. Hey, at least I'm not shaven.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you glue a tic tac to the fletch you could have a little snack each time you draw back.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Draw length is definetly about an inch too long. A couple things you can do to fix this. #1 is shorten the release up about a half inch. This will "unstrech" you a bit and should be more comfortable for you.

Another is to twist up your string and cable. I can't see how much they are twisted already but if you can put more twists in it then do so. Your pro shop will be able to tell you if it is safe to do so. Twist the cable almost half as many times as you do the string to equal them out. Example - 20 on the string and 8 on the cable.

By doing these two things you can shorten up a bit and get closer to where you are suppose to be.

Your drop away cord is definetly too tight. It is putting a tremendous amount of strain on the insides of the rest if the cable is being pulled that much by the cord.

Quick Reply: Ok please help with my form (pics included)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.