Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 another draw length question >

another draw length question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

another draw length question

Old 08-24-2005, 11:17 AM

Default another draw length question

Ok, by my measurements of wing span my DL should be about 26.2inches. I have a 03' Tomkat and the shortest it will go is 27inches, which is what I currently have it on. I do shoot with a string loop which adds a little more DL. I need some help to see if I need to take it off or not. I really like having the loop on there instead of clamping to my string and I have gotten comfortable with it, but I do feel I am inconsistant with shots at times. The people at my local bow shop are not much help on giving advice, they say "Its whatever you want". Do you guys think it might be a good idea if i took some pics of me at full draw and post them on hereso some of you long time shooters could possible give me some tips? I dont know what elase to do. The next closest shop is 2 1/2 hours away and my scheduel is to busy for me to take it down there. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: another draw length question

Stick up a couple of pics on here but get ready to get ripped up. If your release tip is back by your ear at full draw than it's time to make a change. If your are only to long because of the string loop than your probably ok there. good luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: another draw length question

Unfortunately, when people post "form pictures" here on these forums, they are only providing a section of what really needs to be seen. Like just one picture from the side, and lots of times they are aiming at a downward angle.

Actually the best view to check drawlength and form pictures (IMO) is from the top view looking down. That view gives the best indication of elbow position andforearm alignment.

About once a year I setup my 48"x18" mirror, hanging at a 45* angle above me. I position my video camera behind me looking up at the mirror so that the video image is that of a direct view looking down over my head. I tape myself shooting several shots like that, and then move the camera to a straight on side view and shoot a few more shots.

I usually stay away from providing "form" suggestions to people on forums unless something is grossly out of bounds, or unless they provide the appropriate angle pictures- or better yet- video clips from different angles.

Pictures are ok, but video is better. Ya never know if that picture was taken when you were pulling hard into the wall? Too conscious of your form? Concentrating too much on your bow arm? Once you see a repitition of several shots on video, it gives a better "average" of what your form may be like.

Video is your friend, and it doesn't lie.