Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Your thoughts on my form. >

Your thoughts on my form.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Your thoughts on my form.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Your thoughts on my form.

What do you think? See anything good, bad, or indifferent?

Old 08-23-2005, 05:34 PM

Default RE: Your thoughts on my form.

Your draw looks too long. Looks like your bow arm is locked and your draw hand is a bit far back. Your loop looks a bit long as well. A shorter release and smaller loop might help some.
Otherwise it looks ok to me.

Paul
Old 08-23-2005, 05:40 PM

Interesting you would say that. I agree, I thought the loop was too long as well. My bow arm, though it DOES look like it's locked, isn't. Why do you say the draw looks too long? How should it be? I only ask, because that is exactly the thing I have been experimenting with. If I go any shorter, it just feels uncomfortable, and I have to lean my head into the string. I am not arguing at all, just curious. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:47 PM

Your form maybe ok but I noticed that your top cam appears to
be out of time. It looks underrotated to me. I am no expert by
any means but I know when I draw my Hoyt my cams are basically
mirror of each other. The perimeter wieght ( pointy part ) of cam will
point down on the lower cam and straight up on the top one. You may
shoot fine this way , just thought I would point it out.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't grip your release, just let your fingers hang. Shorten that loop up, and I think it would be fine.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

[ul][*]Draw elbow too low........mainly due to your poor anchor.[*]Anchor is very bad. Your sooooo far back you won't ever achieve any consistency. The combination of a much too long string loop and long barreled release has you probably 2" off where yo should probably be anchoring.[*]Draw length is probably a little long.....which makes the first 2 even worse.[*]Bow arm shoulder is rotated over the top rather than locked down into position (too long draw, bow arm too straight)[*]Too much heel in the grip[*]Don't grip your release......let the fingers hang naturally. Tension causes all sorts of fun things from torque to target panic.[*]I hope you aren't aiming at a sofa pillow.[:-][/ul]
The main thing right now to address is the horrible anchor point. Seriously it's not good. My advice? Shorten the draw length 1/2" if possible, cut the loop length at least in half and get yourself a string loop style release such as a Scott 'Wildcat" "Sabertooth" or "Rhino".......a Carter "Quickie", Tru-Ball "Short and Sweet" or the like.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:46 PM

From the picture this is what I see. Your elbow looks hyper extended, not straight or slightly bent. Your bow shoulder is up, and your draw shoulder looks a bit down, your release hand is behind your head and your release elbow is amost lower than your arrow. These are all indications of a longer than normal draw.

You should have a slightly bent or straight bow arm, low bow shouder and high release shoulder with the release elbow being level or higher than your arrow.

I will say your stance looks alright for a long draw, you are not leaning back or anything in that pic.

Any time you change anything it will feel wierd or wrong for while. My draw was over inch long when I first starting shooting. I felt wrong when I changed it, but I like it now. Making your draw shorter should not make you bend into your string, you sort of do it now though. It should actually make that problem better. However you might have to change the way you anchor slightly.

It also looks like you are using peep and a kisser button, I would ditch the kisser button and just go by the way the string feels against your face at full draw. After you shorten it draw to where it feels comfortable and then open your eyes, you will most likely have to move the peep sight and your anchor may move up or down or bit. Your hand should be up closer to your ear as well.

Like I said, it really doesn't look that bad. You should be able to shoot pretty well that way. However I bet you have problems holding steady with that draw length.

I think you should loosen up on the release as well. My girlfriend has that problem.

(( Matt posted the same time as I did with pretty much the same comments))

Good luck

Paul
Old 08-23-2005, 06:53 PM

OK. That all makes good sense. I won't be able to get a new release....my kids like to eat....LOL....but I will try the others. Perhaps my bad anchor is why everything just doesn't feel "quite right" and my sight is so high it is almost behind the riser. Gonna get on that tomorrow. Thanks. I appreciate it!!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

To get a perfect size on your D loop, cut your string 41/4 inches, then burn knots on the end of the string, then tie.... It's a pain to work with it that short, but it will give you a perfect loop size everytime.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Site Bouncer

It looks to me that the draw length is a little long but the biggest problem I see is your anchor point is too low. I think this is because the distance of your peep to center arrow is too far. That is probably why your sight is too high.

If you move your peep down it will bring your sight down and youranchor point up.

To get a perfect size on your D loop, cut your string 41/4 inches, then burn knots on the end of the string, then tie.... It's a pain to work with it that short, but it will give you a perfect loop size everytime.
Thats how I do it, I even start with it slightly shorter, my finished string with melted ends is 4in.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on my form.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.