Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Your thoughts on my form. >

Your thoughts on my form.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Your thoughts on my form.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Your thoughts on my form.

but I noticed that your top cam appears to
be out of time. It looks underrotated to me.
Agreed. That main lobe of the top cam should be parallel with the string as the bottomcam drawstop is hitting.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others. Try shortening up your string loop and you depending on the release that you have you may be able to cut it down and shrten it up as well. That should solid up your anchor points. Then relax your bow arm shoulder and your grip on the release and you should be in good shape!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you hit anything with the bow? That's a serious question, 'cos the cams are so out of time I don't see how you could group anything let alone shoot a broadhead with any kind of accuracy.Either that or the draw length mods are not set the same. The cables should bottom into their respective module at the same exact time.You really need to take that to acompetent pro-shop and get the cams right. Top cable is *at least* an inch and half from where it should be.

Also that loop is all messed up, not just the length but it also looks like you have a tie-in, and a brass nock as well. As you can tell by the pic, the loop is not doing what it's supposed to.

The form advice given by others is sound. Depending on the particular bow, and it's grip design/location, my form may vary from a fairly locked elbow to a slightly unlocked one. I won't sayeither isin/correct. Many archery coaches advocatea locked bow arm as it promotes consistency (and look at the FITA shooters). However your bow arm shoulder shoud be pushed down and towards the target regardless of whether you lock or unlock the elbow.

I don't think your anchor is too low, because basically you don't HAVE an anchor. I shoot a low anchor as well and my peep sits high.Everyone's body is different. Length of face/neck,andrelationship of shoulders to anchor all have aneffect on where it is most comfy andkeeps everything in line properly.

You should try a good solid repeatable anchorlike the "base" knuckle of your index finger hitting where your ear/jawbone meet. It tucks in nicely for most people there, and it's consistent.

Gte the cams fixed up, get a proper loop setup and then work from there.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the input. I am puzzled by the comments about the cam timing.....I am shooting great groups, like, 2" at 30 yards, and my arrow flight is great as well. I am going to look into though.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Once your cams are timed up correctly, you'll notice a harder more solid back wall. As of now, you only have the bottom drawstop hitting the cable. When the top cam is timed correctly along with the bottom cam, the top lobe will add to the solidness of the wall as both the bottom drawstop and the top cam lobe should be hitting at the same time. Your top cam is more severely outta whack than the bottom right picture. I'm assuming that the modules are set appropriately to the same postitions on the bottom and top cam on your bow?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hi mobowhunter, I'm not going to comment on the cam other then to say that you should check to see if you have timing marks set on the cams. If it is the same cam 1/2 system that my Darton has, it should.

I'm also not going to comment on your anchor and long draw as others have.

I just want to comment on your general stance. To me, it looks like you are aiming at a taget that is downward. What is wrong with your stance is that your bow arm is dropped. and your release elbow is high. What you want to do is to replicate the same upper body stance whether you are shooting upward, straight, or downward. Try to keep your elbow and release wrist behind and lined up with your aimed arrow at full draw. Your release hand should be totally relaxed.You should feel that you are pulling using back tension directly behind the arrow at full draw, so that when you release, your release arm will move in a totally opposite direction of the arrow. Sounds wierd, but I try to visualize pulling from the front of the arrow, not the back. Your shoulders (important), arrow, bow arm, and release arm (from the elbow to wrist) should all be parellel with the arrow .If you do this, it will force you to bend at the waist when shooting downward.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:26 AM

It's amazing you can hit anything with the cam that far out of time.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

It's amazing you can hit anything with the cam that far out of time.
I've found the Hoyt system is fairly forgiving of cam timing as most hybrid systems are, and I'm not that surprised that it shoots well for him as it is. I think if he aligns things up to where they should be, it will hold better and have a more solid back wall.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:20 PM

I can put my darton any where (and I have) and it will still shoot very accurately. Never messed with a cam and a half though.

Paul
Old 08-24-2005, 01:31 PM

Question is. How is your accuracy and consistantcy. Some of the best bow shots I have seen have some of the worst looking form. However, their form is consistant with each shot and their accuracy is great. If you are shooting good. Dont mess with it to much.You may need to look into that cam timing though.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on my form.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.