Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Patriot single cam shooters? >

Patriot single cam shooters?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Patriot single cam shooters?

Old 08-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Patriot single cam shooters?

opps, WASTE, funny come back though........
Old 08-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

So Jeffb, since your spell checker is catching correct word usage- could you riddle me this?
In your opinion does a cam & half system or other hybrid exhibit better nock travel than a soloswhen let down from max poundage?

Old 08-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hope ya know I was just teasin' ya Dave

As for your question...depends soley on the individual bow, how it's setup, and how the cam system is designed.

Best horizontal nock travel *I* have seen has been on the Mathews straightline type cams on the Legacy/LX/OB, The PSE NRG single cam,andthe Darton CPS. I have not looked at the new Binary cams. A properly set up Hoyt C.5 or a well designed 2 cam systemhas excellent horizontal nock travel too.

Some bows will never have it regardless of cam because of other issues...lack of QC in matching limb deflections &location of grip on the riser being two big offenders.

That's not the whole picture though. Vertical nock travel IMO is more critical as the shooter can exxagerate that problem much more easily, and it's much harder to "tune" out.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Horizontal nock travel[]
Vertical nock travel []

Oh man it's a wonder a deer has ever been killed with these dangfangled contraptions!

Pm heading your way...............
Old 09-04-2005, 03:25 PM

Default RE: Patriot single cam shooters? update

well I bare shaft tuned my bow and got my bare shafts to group with my fletched arrows at 20 yards. Long story short... my knock point seems lower than my rest.
I always thought it should be a little higher????

My arrows seem to fly much better for I lowered my knock point to get the groups together and moved my rest in a little so I am not getting a huge arrow whip. 30 yards differnt story, bare shafts hitting low again. ?? Biggest thing is my slick tricks are hitting dam close to my field points if not right on.

Bare shafts do have a big tail whip to it.. is this normal?
Old 09-04-2005, 04:58 PM

I shoot with both an 02 and an 03 SC Patriot. They both shot slick tricks with field points out to 65yds. The 03, which as the TT drop away, also shoots wacems, ironhead 100s, turbos and stingers to the same point of impact. The 02 which has a quick tune 1000 fingers, also shoot well with the wacems and turbos provided nocks are good. I number my arrows and in any dozen find several I have to rotate the nocks on or even replace to get them to shoot well in the 02 with the fingers. Interestingly, those same arrows that need a nock rotated or replaced shoot fine with the 03 and its dropaway. My sense is imperfections are magnified by the contact with fingers while the drop away is more forgiving when broadheads are involved. FYI, both bows are set at 70+lbs and shooting 400g arrows (GT 7595) and shoot between 270 and 280fps (the 03 is faster even though it has silencers on the string). I for one am a fan of these bow. If they didn't shoot so well, it would be easier to rationalize a new bow!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kraton, I'm a little embarrassed to admit to this in public[&o], but my Patriot is also tuned and shooting very well with the nock point below center. I'm not sure what, how or why and I got real tired trying to figure it out so I just went with what it wanted.
I'm about 1/8" below center at the middle of my string loop.
TodayI put a Phantom, Stinger and Slicktrick inside of 1" from point of aim at 30 yards. (2" groups if you want to look at it that way). And they are shooting w/ my fieldtips.

I'm sure someone with more tuning know how could figure this out, but season is coming on too fast for me to worry about it much more.

My bare shafts are flying like darts and if anything hit a little high. (I always fling one with my3 fletchedshotgroup)

If you put your back to normal do your slicktricks still hit with your fieldpoint? if so, forget the bare shafts- tune for the broadheads.
I'd be more concerned about straight and true arrow flight than how my bare shafts shot.
The slicktrick website has a good paragraph or two concerning this line of thinking. Straight flying arrows carry more energy and allow the arrow to penetrate much better.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:59 AM

i'd think either you guys are bouncing of the shelf a little bit, or the top limb is pulling a little more weight than the bottom throwing your nock up upon release.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:01 PM

Dave, I went out today and and adjust things some more. raised my knock point back up to a little above 1/8inch cause I just didn't think it should be that way. Bare shafts aside, I have come leaps and bounds on my arrow flight. My Slick tricks now are hitting right with my Field points out to 40 yards. the only thing that has baflled me is My Bare shafts are flying with a tail high or knock whip high which results in them hitting low no matter where I move the knock point. I even played with the rest tension?? need to investigate some more options... drop away next.

Either way I am deadly right now so i will wait till I am back from Co. It just bugs me those bare shafts are not flying right, which tells me something is still wrong. compared to where I was at though, It 10 times better and I was a good shot before.

I will have to try cranking my top limb out .

Old 09-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good thinking Gibblet. I did pull 1/2 turn out of the top limb bolt using the advice given from Arthur about drawing straight to the target. After doing so everything still shoots ON, butI didn't try moving the nock up or rest down to see what would happen. I'll try it today ifnI get a chance.

Just remembered, whenI was tiller tuning my bow (WB rest)I took up to 1 1/2 turns in & out of the top limb to no avail. I will lower my rest to level today and shoot a few just for grins, if nothing changes it's going right back to it's current location.

Quick Reply: Patriot single cam shooters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.