HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Quick Spins (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/109173-quick-spins.html)

Ridge Runner Gunner 08-16-2005 09:05 PM

Quick Spins

Well today i pick up my arrow and i had some quick spins put on them. Got home started shooting and i really didnt know any difference from the new quick spins to my old feather fletchings. then i had a pass thru on my target and the quick spin vane got all waving, then the new four arrow i just got a hour before all started to look this way. i started getting angry and am now wonder if i shoot and dont get a pass thru on a my target(new insert may help) if it is worth having the quick spins on my shafts. i shoot Carbon Express Elimiatores 350's. So i'm debating if i should go back to my old feather fletchings or not. Any of you guys notice a difference with quick spins?

bigbulls 08-16-2005 09:26 PM

RE: Quick Spins

Tried the quick spins last year and quickly went back to feathers.

IMO there isn't anything available today that controls an arrow better than a feather.

cherokee_outfitters 08-16-2005 09:45 PM

Big bulls I shoot straight vanes on my bow and my broadheads tune in at a 1/4 turn off the fletching. But with straight vanes I don't seem to have a problem with grouping. What rest are you using ? Helicles or straight fletching? Cock feather up or down?

bigbulls 08-16-2005 09:55 PM

Mine are three 4" feathers with as much right helical as I can put on the shaft. I am using a QAD ultra rest this year but I have shot it very little so far (work sucks [:'(] ) so can't really comment about it one way or the other yet.

Previously I had the same feather orientation but used the NAP QT2000 drop away with out a single problem. As far as cock feather is concerned it is usually down but to be honest I have shot with it up, to the side, and just "crooked" and it has never mattered.

HuntElk4Fun 08-16-2005 10:31 PM

Last year I did alot of personal research over and over with QuikSpins and my setup. They definitely didn't hold up like others, but I really liked the results. I tried about everything I could think of and one thing I noticed was deeper penetration with QS than with Duravanes or feathersflying my broadheads. I don't shoot a ton like some, but I still have them on my hunting arrows and really like them.

NorthernMN 08-17-2005 08:23 AM

The Quick Spins do take a beating if you are shooting them through the target. If they get wrinkled just take a hair dryer and heat them up a little bit. They will straighten out. They are pretty forgiving that way. I have them on both my hunting and target arrows. I am still shooting some arrows with the same vanes that have passed through deer a couple of times.

KONK 08-17-2005 08:44 AM

If you are interested in switching from feathers to vanes try the Blazer Vanes. I've had pass thoughs on my 3-Dtarget and no damage to the vanes. I switched from feathers to Blazers last year, and will not go back to feathers. :)

burniegoeasily 08-17-2005 12:28 PM

I put them to the test as well. They suck. Not durable, loud, and slows your arrows down. I like 4 inch vanes or blazers.

bronko22000 08-17-2005 09:24 PM

This looks like a good post to ask my questions. I was thinking about trying the QuickSpins but..... 1. I normally install my own vanes on my arrows with an Arizona Easy Fletch. Is the Quickspin too thick to use this fletching tool? and 2. How do these vanes shoot using the Whisker Biscuit rest?

SPIKEHORN11 08-18-2005 11:51 AM

My buddy put them on his arrows. He would use a blow dryer to fix them. He did that maybe six times anf then they wouldn't bounce back anymore. He stopped using the quick spins after that. I had the same problem where I was getting pass through shots. I just became a more accurate shot not to hit the middle where the two bales of straw met. It made me mad that the county tied two together in stead of getting a bigger bale.