Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 fletching my own arrows >

fletching my own arrows

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching my own arrows

Old 08-15-2005, 08:03 PM

Default fletching my own arrows

I would like to start fletching my own arrows,

Would love suggestions oon whic equipment to use. I would like to do a minimum of three arrows at one time and be able to do ofset and helical. feathers and vanes.

Worst case I could just call cabelas technical staff. but I would rather get it here!

THANKS
Old 08-15-2005, 08:13 PM

Default RE: fletching my own arrows

I use Arizona EZ Fletch. If I want more helical I just twist my jig a little more. I haven't tried to straight fletch with it.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Bitzenberger is by far the best jig out there. However, they are pricey.

For the person that only fletches at home the Grayling will do just fine. It is made from molded polymer and costs less than $30 for the jig and clamp. Being molded the base of the clamp may not be perfectly flat so a quick sanding on a flat piece of 120 grit will take care of that.

I have one and while it isn't a Bitz it does the job quite well. For $30 you cant beat it.

I wouldn't worry about doing three arrows at a time. With the fast drying glues a fletch is dry on about 10 seconds.I don't use any of the slower drying glues any more, like fletch tite.

Regardless of which one you choose to buy they will all do feathers or vanes.

Straight and offset uses a straight clamp and helical obviously uses a helical clamp. So of you want to be able to do both then you need both clamps.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Hi there, I agree with Bigbulls. The Bitz is the way. But, the Jo-Jan Muli Fletcher works good also and you can do 6 arrows at a time. The Bitz is the best.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:25 PM

I have been planning to buy a jig soon and was planning on the Bitz. What kind of fast glue do you use. I have only used the fletch tite.
One other question is what is the preferred vane for durability and quality. I use feathers now but wanted to use vanes with the WB. ( I currently have a trophy taker but I'm changing to a WB for my hunting setup.)