Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Considering drop away rest for the first time and need suggestions >

Considering drop away rest for the first time and need suggestions

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Considering drop away rest for the first time and need suggestions

Old 08-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Considering drop away rest for the first time and need suggestions

Thinking of trying a drop-away rest for the first time, NEED ADVICE [/align][hr]

I am seriously considering trying a drop away rest, and I will admit that it will be the first one to go on one of my bows. I have been doing some research on these rests, and the fact that their are so many to choose from doesn't make my first time decision any easier. So what I am looking for is some honest feedback and opinions on what you with experience using these rests can offer me. So basically, tell me what you use, why you like it, and help me make a good choice. I want something rock solid, dependable, quiet, and easy to set up. I have found out that some rests attach differently to the cables and some work better than others. So please give me some choices and advice on setting up what you suggest and I would really appreciate it. This will be going on a 05 Ultratec, and I will be shooting goldtip prohunter shafts with blazer vanes.I will use it primarily for hunting.If you need any other information about my set-up, just tell me. Thanks to all and good luck. Bhunter32.[/align]
Old 08-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Considering drop away rest for the first time and need suggestions

I'm in a similar position as I too have been considering trying one as well. I've been using a shoot through style rest for years and haven't seen the need to change. But with drop away rests being so popular my interest has picked up.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have shot pretty much all of the different styles of drop aways currently on the market. I thought the Muzzy Zero Effect to be the most reliable and consistant though the Trap Door was the most compact and had the least amount of moving parts/linkages.

The Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter, Trophy Ridge Drop Zone and Quicktune 4000 seem to be the most popular ones judging by the forums and personal experience down at the shop. I have a GKF Infinity Premier that I am about to set up on my Old Glory. Expensive but the design and adjustability make it worth the cost in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

PABowhntr, is there some sort of conversion kit for the GFK Infinity? That's what I have now on my Patriot and I love it.

Edit : Nevermind, it's funny what information you can find when you search for it. I think it might be worth the $25 to invest in the conversion kit for the Infinity.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just bought a Mach4 Trapdoor rest a couple of weeks ago. No cables so set up was very easy. With some moleskin on my shelf it is very quiet and my groups have greatly improved. I went with this rest because I know a guy who has been shooting one for years with no problems.Windage and elevation adjustments are very easy. It took me about 10 minutes to mount it and tune it.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to consider before purchasing a drop-away, RELIABILITY. Freezing rain, snow or just getting the rest cable hung up on the rest when you go to draw. Now imagine the king of the woods walks out and stands broad side at 20 yards. Hmmm[:-] Just one more thing to spoil your hunt.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:52 PM

Shaky Hunter for 2 years now, and I love it. I have not had any problems at all.

You will love the drop away for tuning.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:23 PM

BHunter32,

I have shot the MUZZY Zero Effect for two years now and have found it to be very consistant and sturdy, no strings ot cables just a jointed bar attached to the cable guard. Has worked great, 3 kills no further than 50 yds after the shot.

P.R.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:18 AM

I am newto the drop away thing too. I just put a Trophy Taker on about 2 months ago and so far no problems. It was very easy to install and tune. It has worked flawlessly so far and really holds the arrowwell. Good luck choosing....Your right there are alot to choose from.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a Trophy ridge drop zone last year and was very pleased with its performance since then I have bought my daughter and wife both new drop zones for there equipment, easy to adjust and tune and works great...

Quick Reply: Considering drop away rest for the first time and need suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.